Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar LED Art Project HELP!!

Red_Flyer

Jul 28, 2011
Hello Electronics Gurus, I need some help with this. I had planned to use the following rigs throughout a HUGE empty building to breathe some life into it.

The assembly seemed simple enough, and cheap enough, until I added the inverters.

I also can't find anything to do variable pulsing with. Ideas? Clues?

The inverters use so much juice, I need to keep them off, via AC timer (?) and run the lights only for 4 hours (8pm - midnight)

[assembly] =
solar panel + deep cycle battery + inverter + splitter/powerstrip + timers + variable puls'ers + color floodlights

Can anyone help? Advice? Some have said I should bag the inverters alltogether and run the whole thing DC, but are there variable DC timers and puls'ers?

Thank you!!

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
What are the variable pulsers for? Are you talking about pulse-width modulation?

If you're going to be running a solar system, it's more efficient to have everything running off of +12VDC, instead of having to convert everything to mains.

You could check here to see if there's anything to your liking:

http://www.magnalight.com/c-177-12-Volt-Flood-Lights.aspx

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
if the only thing you plan to use is led's then i see no reason to use an inverter. they're costly, and you need to make sure you get the right one(ones if you need more than one), then there is correct earthing... the list goes on. led's run of 12v (with a resistor) quite well,
also the floodlights you are talking about if you need some ultra bright lighting that run of 12v i can definately recommend HID. i just got a torch that was a little expensive but i can see 300meters with ease. you can also goto ultra bright LED's they don't go up to 2600(like my torch) but they can match the intensity of a spotlight if you do it right. as a side personal note if you get any pics of the artwork i would like to see them just pm me the deatails.
last thing i must note, i love the 12volt revolution so i can post a heap of links about led lighting and ultra bright lighting to run most things of 12v. as for timers i would assume there are some around that are meant for 12volt but if worst comes then i am positive someone on here can show you a schematic for one thats simple to put together.