Connect with us

Solar is dirtier than coal....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by EnviroPhobe, May 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. EnviroPhobe

EnviroPhobe

May 13, 2013
    Hi, I am new to this site today.

Forgive me for the rough nature of the following data. As you, I am busy with my ‘thing’ so I will share what I feel is a necessary rebuttal to an article I discovered an hour ago, from the electronicspoint linked site, concerning the inefficiency of photovoltaic as an energy source in comparison to the CO2 based energy choices. Questions were raised concerning the weakness of photovoltaic electric generation to seriously reduce the quantity of CO2s produced. These following factors were not addressed, in my opinion.

Solar Manufacturing has improved since the discovery of Silicon Valley toxicity levels, dating back to the 1970s. Today they suffer from contamination, including the water.
    Silicon, silver, copper, and aluminum are primary refined materials for manufacturing solar panels and they recycle very well, saving a great percentage of energy converting virginal raw material, not to mention the mining damage.

Solar manufacturers often use the 'tailings' and the leftovers in the bottom of the silicon crucible; broken and used wafers are valuable resources.
    Shipping diesel or other forms of energy around requires more energy. One placement of solar modules reduces the shipping and the spillage, inefficiencies, necessary containments....

Solar’s main problem is intermittency. Used within the region of solar manufacturing, or site placement around the silicon plant allows the ability to take advantage of the intermittency with grid support. Drawing energy from the sun to make more solar will help reduce the CO2 quantity.

Solar manufacturing, however dirty to the manufacturing environment may be, fails to carry the waste to the site as does the CO2 based energy fuel, where the energy is being produced and used.

The equipment for burning CO2 for energy conversion requires multiple recyclable burning or conversion systems also requiring a high degree of maintenance in comparison to solar. The solar supply chain will reduce in electronic impact with the usage of more solar.

Solar manufacturing is continually improving containment and recovery of chemicals and washing agents. Re-purification techniques are improving.
    Clean coal seems to be a dream. Sequestration of CO2 underground reminds one of the fracking troubles with water tables and with minor earthquakes. Sequestering CO2 reminds some of burying nuclear waste, a veritable foreign material storage waiting to be shifted and become a long-term expanse.

Thin film solar, which uses tellurium or indium, is greatly over emphasized due the ability to manufacture inexpensive thin film solar modules in comparison to silicon wafer modules because of the scarcity of tellurium and indium. These two minerals are relatively close to the rarity of platinum. Tellurium and gallium thin film solar peak around 3GW annually due the scarcity of tellurium. Indium surely is the same, as the scarcity is similar. Check out the USGS stats totaling global production each year for tellurium, an easy find. Check upon the quantity of tellurium needed for a MW of thin film and figure the quantity per module. Three GW of thin film solar per year, for the whole world, will not reduce a great quantity of CO2 based energy consumed per year for our global needs. Tellurium usage is growing as other great technical uses are developing. The scarcity of tellurium is increasing, as the newly discovered and accessed veins of available copper ore for extraction increasingly prove to be less rich of copper. As the diminished richness of copper veins continues, within the mining/refining industry, tellurium naturally possesses a reverse logarithmic availability of raw tellurium, as the natural state of the two minerals are closely linked. About 95% of the world’s tellurium comes from electro wining of copper. About 39% of the tellurium is extractable from the slimes left after removal of the copper, during the electro wining processing procedure.

Thank you,
    EnviroPhobe

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I think nuking the sun is the only solution

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Isn't the sun already being nuked?

Bob

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    WHAT!??!!

Panic! Panic!

Keep out of the sun!!

Solar energy is being contaminated by radiation from the sun.

Ask a Question