Connect with us

Solar charging LEDs ?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Owen, Oct 7, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Owen

Owen

Oct 7, 2014
    I have a project in mind which would require a solar charger to supply power to light up LED lights through the evening. I know i am basically describing the cheap garden lights that have flooded the market however i would need the LEDs to be bright enough to illuminate a sale sign similar to ones used in real esate, that sort of scale.

My question is, being limited to a tiny solar panel about the size of a smartphone, is this even possible?

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Owen and welcome to Electronics Point :)

No. It's those pesky laws of physics again. Even with the most efficient LEDs and solar panels you can get, you would need a large solar panel to produce enough energy from one day's sunlight to illuminate a sign for several hours.

3. Owen

Owen

Oct 7, 2014
    thanks for the reply, this is what i feared! Ive seen lots of christmas decorations advertised lately with a tiny solar panel that lights up a string of 50 LEDs? I guess these would just barely glow then?

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yeah, I guess so. When you turn the lights out to admire the little pinpricks of coloured light decorating your christmas tree, you aren't interested in how much illumination they provide!

Ask a Question