Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar charging a LiFePO4 Battery (advice welcome!)

AprilSteel

Feb 2, 2017
also this one today
The PNNL team found that the origin of whiskers in a lithium metal battery lies in a structure known as the "SEI" or solid-electrolyte interphase, a film where the solid lithium surface of the anode meets the liquid electrolyte. Further, the scientists pinpointed a culprit in the growth process: ethylene carbonate, an indispensable solvent added to electrolyte to enhance battery performance.
The team found that the level of ethylene carbonate directly correlates with dendrite and whisker growth. The more of the material the team put in the electrolyte, the more the whiskers grew. The scientists experimented with the electrolyte mix, changing ingredients in an effort to reduce dendrites. Some changes, such as the addition of cyclohexanone, prevented the growth of dendrites and whiskers.

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-scien...Ym1BiEMkdZUPo0adZOZjUdBaab_T5IQn3yI2DXcFJQQ9U

AprilSteel

Feb 2, 2017
I meant charging as stated in my reply only. As to charging lilon cells i have charged hundreds to 4.2v full charge no worries repeatably and used to 2.7v level. These are quality cells made by Sony. Cheap chinese cells are failure prone.
All good mate but this thread is about LFP cells . Thats LiFePo4 not Li-Ion . LFP is 3.65V max Li-Ion is 4.2V max

MikeGray

May 5, 2017
Interesting to see the technology continuing to improve!
I did eventually track down the cause of my starter battery going flat. I have an analog voltmeter attached to it, and evidently, there is a small current leak when it is in use. I added a switch so it's off when the bike is off, and now it stays charged much longer.