Connect with us

Soft "varnish" on PC boards?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Ignoramus14946, Jan 20, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I have a couple of PC boards from where I want to nicely remove
    components. They are covered in soft "varnish", it has a rubbery
    texture. How could Iremove this varnish?


  2. PeteS

    PeteS Guest

    That sounds more like one of the varieties of conformal coating. There
    are various removal solvents, but which one you can use depends on the

    A pretty universal remover was Freon, and damned fine it as at the task
    too, but that's not really available for outdoor use any more ;)
    [no eco-shouting please, I am merely making an observation]

    You might look in your favourite catalogue and see what is availble
    under 'solvents'


  3. GregS

    GregS Guest

    I have some Acetone, Freon, and some Trichlorethane, but I don't think either
    would remove a rubbery coating, especially silicone.

    I used to have a Trichlorethane fire extinguisher long ago.

  4. kell

    kell Guest

    Why not just try something harmless like mineral oil. You can go to
    the nasty stuff if that doesn't work.
  5. Al

    Al Guest

    Check out:

    I've used their stuff for years with great success.

  6. Ian Stirling

    Ian Stirling Guest

    I assume it's SMD components - and the varnish is over the top?
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day