Connect with us

SMT Mounting

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sgrobinson, Jan 19, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sgrobinson


    Jan 19, 2013
    Hello all,

    New here :) I want to make a couple of prototype circuits that use surface mounted chips. Apparently I can get adapters where I can "lock" them into an adapter rather than soldering for prototyping. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

    I'd like to avoid manually soldering suface mounted chips!

    P.S I'm new but I know how to search - Sorry, I couldn't find any other answers!
  2. BobK


    Jan 5, 2010
    SMT soldering is not as difficult as it looks. There are many good tutorials on the web. You need a good magnifier and I reccommend paste solder and a syringe to apply it (you can buy it that way).

  3. Raven Luni

    Raven Luni

    Oct 15, 2011
    The syringe is a must. I tried spreading it with a screwdriver my first time - annoying and messy :p
  4. CocaCola


    Apr 7, 2012
    Get a $25-$30 plastic stencil cut of with a cluster of normal SMD packages and you will never mess with that syringe again for bigger chips :) One quick pass over the stencil with an old credit card and you are golden...
  5. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    As a direct answer to the original question, yes you can get sockets that do this.

    However they tend to be bulky and don't function well on a breadboard (because it doesn't leave much room for wires in many cases)

    Get on to ebay and so a search for "programmer adapter socket" (without the quotes) and you'll see a bunch. They're available in all sorts of sizes, but you'll find that some sizes (the very small and the very large) get quite expensive.

    These are normally used for programming chips, in this case the bulkiness is not an issue.

    Another better search is "socket (so, tsop, sot, sop, qfp, soic, tssop, ssop, lqfp, tqfp, bga) -(so239)" But you're better of narrowing down the search for the packages you actually want.
  6. CocaCola


    Apr 7, 2012
    In addition to what Steve said, also add 'ZIF' (zero insertion force) to your search if you want a clam shell or lever operated socket that doesn't require you to 'snap' said chip into the socket... Some SMD chips are designed and will snap in sockets others won't...

    If you want one that pins out to standard through hole pins add 'to DIP' to your search...

    Example 'SOIC 8 to DIP 8 ZIF ' will yield you adapters that are 'clam shell' ZIF sockets that convert the SOIC 8 smd chip to the traditional DIP 8 pin...

    And BTW if it's not converted out to solder points or DIP pins then a socket isn't going to help you out as they are generally harder to solder then the chips themselves...
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day