Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SMores maker-heating elemnt problems

clutchsauce

Nov 20, 2009
I'm a sophmore in college right now and for a class I chose to make an automatic smores maker. Dispense marshmallows, spear them, run it though a heat element and then assemble it with graham crackers and chocolate etc.

Originally I thought I would do something like a toaster but I soon realized that was foolish as toasters draw so much power and I am limited to using batteries for the project (also there's a $ 40 limit.) Alternatives would be a heat lamp or something.

Do you guys have any ideas for me to melt marshamallows? I'm open to any ideas and it would be awesome if you had ideas to generate enough heat to burn them a little too! But at bare minimum I want to make em gooey so atleast I can call them smores

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Some project, and budget.. You'll have to dig deep in the scrap parts bin..
And batteries.. What batteries can you hope for? It's gonna take more than a penlight to scorch a marshmallow I guess. Would a lighter be out of the question?
If you have to rely on battery power alone to melt that thing then infrared heating is the most efficient method, such as a focused 12V halogen lamp with an aluminum reflector.

jamygdala

Jul 13, 2009
Peltier effect heat pump ? aka Peltier coolers.
Stick a current through it, one side cools the other side heats up.
Comes in marshmallow size too.
Not sure of cost though. GBP30 for 55W ??
Various wattage too.