Connect with us

Smoke machine heater replacement.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by samsamuel, Jun 11, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. samsamuel

samsamuel

Jun 11, 2017
    Hi, i have a smoke machine with a blocked up heater element, and I have a quick and probably obvious question. It's a 600w heater, but if I replace it with an 800w element, what are the repercussions of that? I have read around about wattage and such, and although I understand how amps and voltage work, I can't quite get a handle on what would happen if a component is replaced with a higher wattage.
    My assumption is that it will heat up quicker, and since there is a thermal switch, won't get any hotter than the original 600W, but my main question is

'is the higher wattage likely to cause any ill effects on the rest of the unit?'

I know I could buy a new one for not much more than the cost of the heater, but that's hardly cricket, what??

Thanks
    Sam

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Is the 'Thermal switch' a type of regulating thermostat as opposed to a over heat condition?
    Presumably the machine will switch off sooner, it is not ALL that great an increase, By George!
    M.

3. samsamuel

samsamuel

Jun 11, 2017
    Pretty sure it's acting as a thermostat, though I will check that. Thanks.

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Asuming the 800W heater is powered by the same voltage as the 600W one it will be drawing 33% more current. The thermal switch may or may not be stressed by that. Excess stress could result in a fried switch or worse ...... a lot more smoke than intended!

Ask a Question