Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Smoke from console power port...

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright, so a weird and worrying thing happened to me. I was testing a Coleco Gemini console (Atari 2600 clone console) from a bundle of defect consoles (but not all were, 5 Geminis out of 9 worked) to see if that one was working. When I plugged the console and turned it on, I think it was working, but then I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the power port (gray smoke, not so easy to notice but enough), so I immediately unplugged it. There was a stench coming from it, also, as I expected.

So what is causing this? First time this happens to me and I wonder if this is dangerous. Would it be a fuse? I was using the same power supply than with the other ones, which is the official Atari 2600 power supply input 120v AC 60Hz 12W and output 9v DC 500mA of polarity minus at the left to C pointing at plus to the right. Oh, and what about the sparks, would ther be a link? Everytime I plug a Gemini console, whatever which one, to the power socket, no matter to the power supply first or the console first, a spark appears. And I mean everytime. Why?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You get sparks (probably) because there is a capacitor in there which needs to be charged and is a very low impedance when discharged.

Smoke is baaaad.

It may be from many causes. I would open the unit up and take a look (and a sniff if necessary).

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright. So are the sparks an issue? I know it can happen to Atari 2600 even with the right power supply as well, but I still want to be cautious. When I get to the repair of the malfunctioning Coleco Gemini consoles, I will look at that one first and tell the issue if I see it.