Connect with us

Smartphone Multimeter Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jd1, Sep 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jd1

jd1

Sep 12, 2013
    Hi All,

This is my first post here and I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place.

A team with which I am working are designing a low-cost, portable multimeter which connects to a Android or iOS smartphone. We are trying to gauge interest in such a product in the electronics community to determine whether it is feasible. The multimeter would have standard function as well as possibly an oscilloscope function. What are your thoughts on this? Any comments are much appreciated.

If the device is produced, would you be likely to use a smartphone multimeter attachment? If so, what price are you willing to pay for one?

What size would a multimeter need to be so that you would carry it with you as an everyday object?

Thank you,
    Jerry

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi there
    welcome :)

Well since a basic multimeter can be had for $10 or less .... not a lot

But if it has reasonable O'scope functions then it may be worth something if its really portable

Dave

3. jd1

jd1

Sep 12, 2013
    Thank you for the input! Will keep that in mind.

Jerry

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    To make it worthwhile you need to do something that leverages the power of the phone. Logging, alarms/alerts, graphing, etc would all be good.

Ask a Question