Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Smart gal, just need a little help with new project

Tiff

Apr 29, 2011
Hello-

So I am wanting to build my own custom, automatic, horse hay feeder. I'd like to have an auto-feeder, so that I only have to go out once per day instead of twice.

I made a wooden box with the bottom on hinges so that it can drop down the hay, but need to connect a magnet to keep it shut.
I would like to know if anyone has suggestion on how to get the electromagnet I want to install, to hold the lid closed so that I can somehow plug the magnet into a timer. This way when the power releases, the door opens and drops the hay onto the floor for my horses. (This is the theory anyways)

Can anyone explain an easy way to do this to achieve my goal? Thank so much!

Tiff

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Tiff, Welcome :)

assuming you just have enough hay in the box to do one feed and you are happy with closing the door manually before refilling with hay, then not too much of a problem

Things to consider ... the weight of the door to be held up by the magnet, needs to be light as possible but sturdy. The extra weight of the hay on top of the door.
Those 2 things will determine the strength of the 2 electro magnets (one at each end of the door if needed) needed to keep the door closed.
How big is the box, sqr or rectangular ? how long/wide is the door

I was also thinking of solenoid activated pins but there may be too much force against the pins to allow them to slide

dont know where (country ) you are in so cant suggest where to inquire about electro magnets

cheers
Dave

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hey Tiff! :) ( big smile)
what voltage is available please? Is it AC or do you want to use DC as in solar power or a battery?

There are lots of little tricks you can use to make a job like this easier by the way, but there's always a certain amount of (sorry about this) hassle.
Still, tell us what kind of power you have available.

Another thing ~ how you want to control it? Are you planning to push a button back at the house or do you want to use a telephone, or is it a timer that you have in mind?

Last question: Where are you, roughly? Just so we can see where you might be able to get stuff.

PS could we have a photo of the hopper you're going to be puuting the hay in please?

Last edited:

Tiff

Apr 29, 2011
thanks for the reply

Hi davenm and poor mystic!

Thanks for the replies!!!

@ Davenm: I was thinking about the solenoid pins, but do not know much about them, however from what I am reading, it seems like it may do the trick. I am totally fine with just one feeding and closing the door before filling the box with hay. The wooden box is rectangular and measurements are 2.5 feet wide by 3 feet tall and 6 inches deep. (2.5' x 3'x 6"). I live in Texas, USA. Thank you for the input, please let me know if you have more :) I appreciate your knowledge on this stuff! :)

@poor mystic: I want to hook it up to a timer (not a button or telephone control, just a normal house timer that I can pick up anywhere) so it feeds at the same time each day. Ideally I would like to use DC battery powered. (not sure on voltage needed for this project) I am in Texas :) I do not have a photo of the hopper I built, but it looks similar to one on youtube that I saw and got the idea from. If you go to youtube and search automatic hay feeder horse - you will see a woman Patti who posted a video of hers. Unfortunately she did not show how to make it :(

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hey Tiff!
1) most household timers need the AC mains, because the regularity of the AC is what drives the timer so evenly. I know you want to use a battery power source for the mechanism but do you have mains available?
2) Locksmiths sell remote-controllable door locks. These are not cheap but they are reliable and it's all neat and tidy. Would that be a satisfactory solution for you?

My suggestions are not low-cost, but is that an issue?

Tiff

Apr 29, 2011
@ poor mystic-
I just started to look into the electronic door locks on ebay, they are running about 15 bucks. This would be perfect! Thank you for explaining the ac and dc power to me. I do have a main source I can plug into, but i would be using an extension cord, but it would work! Now I just need to figure out how to conect the electronic door lock wires to have it open with a timer. hmmm :/ You are being a ton of help, have you made this before!? lol:D

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Good stuff Tiff.
No, I am an industrial/communications tech. Here's how to use the timer and lock:

Timers get plugged into a 110VAC socket and whatever load you want to switch on and off plugs into the timer. Plug the extension cord into the socket on the timer.

Use a 110VAC remote lock. Put a suitable plug on it and plug that into the extension cord.

Voila!

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi Tiff, an afterthought:
It has finally occurred to me that it's a bad idea to leave power running to the lock once the door's open. The lock will get hot!
So, you need to automatically cut the lock current when the door opens.
You can find a way to arrange a switch to do that I'm sure. I'm trying to think if there's a simpler way to do it...
... with door locks the switches will get quite a hard time (because of the inductive load). So, however you design your feeder, use a heavy-duty switch, the little pinky-operated ones you see on the front panels of electronic thingies aren't strong enough at all. Bearing this in mind:
Maybe you could use a "momentary on" switch that the door could keep closed for as long as the door itself is shut. When the door falls open the switch would be opened and current to the lock would be interrupted.