Connect with us

Small solenoid coils

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Wyn, Oct 27, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Wyn

Wyn

Oct 27, 2014
    I have been looking for a while for a source of small (~1/8 in ID) solenoid coils. Complete solenoids would be ok too, but I would probably discard the plunger and spring in favor of my own.

I've looked into a few options. Obviously I looked for solenoids directly but they all seem to be too large.

There seem to be options for tiny RC planes:
    http://www.micronwings.com/Products/Actuator Coil 5.5mm 75Ohm/index.shtml
    But $4-5 will add up quickly.

I also considered the possibility of adapting inductors, if I could find some air coils with a large number of windings and small ID.

Rolling my own will be too tedious. If I find a source that works I'll want dozens.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    How about strip the guts out of small relays..... can be some cheap ones around..... variety of voltages.
    May even be able to run a solenoid core through the centre.
    Might tend to get hot over extended running though as dc relays usually have a core shorting ring.
    Not really meant for solid core as in a solenoid.

3. Wyn

Wyn

Oct 27, 2014
    That could be a good option. The coils would be a good size. Do you know a type that would be relatively easy to take apart?

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    No sorry....never had the need.
    Friend of mine once gave me a stack of very small solenoids that came, I believe, from some type of commercial printer head.
    There were about 6 or 8 in each unit. I had looked at them but never managed to experiment with them.
    From memory they were 24v dc BUT had to be activated by a pulse no more than maybe 100mSec long otherwise they would overheat.
    No data and they were washed away in the big flood we had here 2 years ago.

5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Check Radio Shack for reed-relays in small packages. These will have a tiny coil inside to operate the magnetic reed. Of course this assumes you live where there IS a Radio Shack nearby. This is an international forum, so your mileage may differ.

Wyn likes this.
  6. Wyn

Wyn

Oct 27, 2014
    Good call on reed relays. Looks like there are a few good sources.

Ask a Question