Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small print

liaemars

Jun 18, 2018
I'm just assembling a kit to control motor speeds. I had a lot of trouble reading the small printing on some semiconductors and identifying them with the list supplied. I solved it by photographing them with a macro lens on my mobile phone and then had a decent sized picture to work with. Old eyes are a bit of a problem at times!
Thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Get yourself one of those eye loupes.
I have a 4x magnification for the small print, and use a 10x magnification loupe to actually physically inspect any small parts or solder joints that I suspect are damaged.
With today's circuits, you really need some type of easy magnification.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
"Reading glasses" come in several strengths, off-the-shelf at drug stores, Walmart, etc. For me, 2.5 or 3.0 diopter is a good compromise between magnification and depth of field. For detailed work, I have a 10x loupe.

ak

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I use a combination of devices - the good old reading glasses, magnifying lens and, on occasion, a webcam retrofitted with a macro lens.

Some chips also benefit from smearing (using the smallest amount possible) with white thermal paste that 'sticks' to the lasered-on etching identification making it easier to read.

But the biggest bugbear is SMD components, particularly those that don't have any designation at all.....

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Complain to the manufacturer that the components should be in labeled bags if there are any that can be confused with one another.