Connect with us

Small motor project - ferris wheel

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by faulknerm, Jan 10, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. faulknerm

faulknerm

Jan 10, 2015
    Morning folks,

I'm looking to start a small project, and just looking for a point in the right direction please. I'm afraid that I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing - give me a computer and I can make it do almost anything, but I've never really played with electronic components very much.

I have a large plastic ferris wheel (it's a sweet display stand, for weddings etc.) and would like to somehow add a small motor to is in order to turn it slowly whilst it is on display - probably need the wheel itself to turn at maybe 6rpm or so I think.

Don't really mind whether it's mains or battery powered, as we have mains powered LED lighting anyway so will always have a socket on hand.

Did start browing and came across little motors on Amazon (for microwaves I think), but not sure they would have the power to turn the wheel when it's filled with sweets? The total distributed weight across the circumference of the wheel is perhaps 12kg or so.

Any suggestions, or nudges in the right direction, would me much appreciated! :)

Thank you.

2. JimW

JimW

Oct 22, 2010
    Easiest way would be a small dc motor that was geared down to the speed you want. The tough part is the connection of the spinning motor shaft to the plastic ferris wheel. If it were me, I would have rubber band of some type that goes around the shaft of the motor and some larger diameter ring on the axis of the ferris wheel. SO now lots of turns on the motor will result in a single turn of the wheel. The ratio if the band wheel diameters will determine the speed you want from the DC motor. The voltage and the gearing of the motor will determine its speed. A fair amount of trial and error.

Jim

3. faulknerm

faulknerm

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks for that Jim, much appreciated.

Could you by any chance point out what could be a suitable motor? I can then have something to base my research on - and at least I'll know that I'm looking at the right sort of thing (I'm just concerned by it having enough actual power to turn the wheel when it's loaded up).

Cheers,

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    At this low speed, the power required will be low. The motor will need to provide sufficient torque to turn the wheel which will depend on the bearing friction and the weight offset, you will need to measure this. Total weight will not be a problem if the weight is balanced and the bearings are low friction.
    If you are going new, motors are available with attached gearboxes, if you wish to use second hand, then a windscreen wiper motor would be plenty large enough but you would need a fairly large power supply such as a CB radio 12V supply or a 4A battery charger.

12V would be preferred to mains because of safety and would enable easy speed control.

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You will need to measure the torque required due to bearing friction and load offset.

There are small DC motors advertised with gearboxes already fitted.

If you wish to go second hand, the a windscreen wiper motor would be plenty strong enough. You will need a 12V supply of a few amps such as a CB radio supply or a 4A battery charger.

12V would be safer than mains and would allow the speed to be changed fairly easily.

6. faulknerm

faulknerm

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks for a very comprehensive reply. :)

I'll go and do a bit more reading around, and then may have a scour on eBay for some bits and have a play.

Ask a Question