Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small ferrite transformer - What was it used for & what might I be able to use it for?

E

Exador

Jan 1, 1970
I got some free small ferrite transformers and was wondering if someone could make a
guess at what they may have been used for or more importantly what I might be able to
use them for. They have 2 windings. Winding 1 has lots of turns of some pretty fine
wire with a tap close to one end of the winding. This winding measures 47 ohms from
end to end and 46 ohms from one end to the tap. The inductance is around 235mHy for
the entire winding and 225mHy for the 46 ohm part of the winding. It doesn't appear
to have any special insulation. Winding 2 has very few turns of some relatively heay
litz wire. It measures .09 ohms and 14uHy. The litz wire looks like it is composed of
5 or 6 strands of wire that is a little larger than the wire on winding 1. The core
measures 1" X 1" square outside. The cross section of the core measures about .28" X
..15" for an area of .042 sq in. Winding 2 is wound closest to the core with the litz
wire wound over that. It has standard .025 in square pins on the base. I haven't
taken one apart so I don't know if the core is gapped. I've posted a pdf drawing with
a crude picture on abse with a subject "Small ferrite transformer - What was it used
for & what might I be able to use it for? PDF", if that will help.

Thanks Mike