Connect with us

Sky Remote

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Rukie, Mar 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Rukie

Rukie

Mar 29, 2012
    All,

Hoping someone with an electronics background can help my friend and I settle a trivial debate.

My friend believes that if you take batteries out of an accessory (in this case a Sky remote) you need to replace them with batteries within 10 minutes or it can permanently damage the device.

Is this true? From my limited electronics knowledge I can't see any way that this statement would make any sense. I understand that potentially any capacitors in the device may discharge which could lead to a loss of any customised settings (if stored on the remote) or perhaps the infra-red communication settings but I don't see how it would damage the device? Can someone shed some light on this?

Any input would be appreciated and if you could kindly state your background I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Stephan

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    Ask your friend this, what exactly in the device would get damaged from a lack of power for 10 minutes? Because I am 100% positive that nearly all the components inside the device would not be damaged by a lack of power.

I won't say he is wrong, but I would love to hear his explanation first.

BTW, what exactly is a sky remote? You're not talking about a tv remote are you?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    The only problem I can see coming from not having batteries in a remote for any given time is that it might lose its programming, but that should be in solid state memory so loss of power shouldn't affect it.

-Alex

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    It is a Sky (not sky) remote to control the Sky satellite box. My remote is set to operate the TV as well as the Sky box and it is a pain to enter the TV coding required if the memory is lost. I do not see how any damage could be caused by taking the batteries out for a while.

5. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
  6. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    I knew it!!

7. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    I think a few models of remotes lose data if power is out of them for a time, i doubt this constitutes damage though. :)

PS. The one for all types is a possible, but also others as well.

8. DIYpowersupplyrepair

DIYpowersupplyrepair

Mar 16, 2012
    Its called a supercap internally that discharges for it to lose the memory after 10 minutes.

9. Rukie

Rukie

Mar 29, 2012
    Yeah sorry Sky as in the UK digital satelite provider.

Thanks for the second opinion all. I am surprised that the capacitors discharge so quickly although I guess those in a remote are most likely to have a low potential difference.

Stephan

10. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    So the answer to your question is NO it will not be PERMANENTLY damaged, though it will need to be reprogrammed, which you as a consumer may not be able to do yourself.

11. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Anyone care to speculate on the relative cost of a serial eeprom vs. the cost (for the consumer) to send the device away to be reprogrammed?

Ask a Question