Connect with us

Sketchup 3D CAD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by CDRIVE, Nov 4, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Has anyone out there been using Sketchup to the point of attaining proficiency?

Chris

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Thanks Harald. That guy appears to be experienced using it but I don't think his site is devoted to Sketchup help.

I downloaded it 3 days ago after years of reading about it. I don't know why I waited so long. It's awesome! I also downloaded the Engineering plugin that utilizes pre-constructed models like pipe and pipe fittings because I'm building a PVC bike rack for the bed of my Tundra. Aligning the pipe with the fittings has proved to be laborious for me but I'm certain it's only because I don't know how to use it efficiently. There's probably a docking procedure that I'm missing.

Chris

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Theres probably something along the lines of "mate" or "relation" or something like that, I have been working with Solidworks through work and they use both, "relation" more often though.
    You add a relation like making 2 planes parallel then mate the holes in the center of the pipes, just a thought

5. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Thanks GG, I'll look for something like that. What I have found in the help files is this.. If you have multiple fittings on the sketch they tell you to select one of them before inserting the mating pipe. That works with a caveat. I've been unable to ascertain what to do with a fitting with multiple ports. A "T" fitting has 3 ports and I have no idea how to tell sketchup which port to dock to.

I'll keep reading the help files and watching the video tutorials. ;)

Chris

Ask a Question