Connect with us

Sine wave for a resistance / reactance circuit

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by Chickwolf, Jan 15, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chickwolf

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
    Hello all, been set a question by my teacher on resistance and reactance circuit. Ive managed to answer all the questions except the last one which is:

"Sketch and fully label a sine wave to show the values for the inductor and resistor volt drops, together with the resultant supply voltage"

I have recorded all the data I need for the Sine wave but I am unsure how exactly to plot it out, if any one could post the method I should be using that would be great.
    The thumbnail contains all of my workings out for the piece of work I am doing.
    Thanks, Chick.

Attached Files:

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    It is not exactly clear what the assignment means by 'sine wave' and how you are expected to plot one; however, since you are working with phasor diagrams it would be reasonable to consider how a sine wave is plotted on a phasor diagram. That would be a straight line with magnitude and phase angle. What will you use as the reference for zero phase angle? How many sine waves need to be plotted? Power supply voltage, resistor voltage, inductor voltage, loop current, anything else? What relationships need to be portrayed on the plot? What voltage is the sum of other voltages?

3. Chickwolf

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't think it has to be on a phasor diagram, my teacher said that the voltage supply, resistor volt drop and inductor volt drop must all be drawn out over a 360 degree graph. in total 3 sine waves need to be plotted, one for the supply voltage and one each for the volt drops. I don't really have much of an idea of how to proceed with this as im not sure how to put the values I have worked out into a graph.

4. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    A steady-state sine wave is characterized only by magnitude and phase, whether on a phasor diagram or on a time axis. Of course it is easier to plot sine waves on a phasor diagram, but just sketching them on a time axis isn't so bad either (just identify the peaks and zero crossings). But to accurately plot sine waves on a graph with phase offsets I would probably use a spreadsheet graphing function.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Chickwolf

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you, ended up sketching it out by hand but it still came out accurate enough, thanks a lot for your help!

Ask a Question