Connect with us

Simulating Electrical Load of Solenoid Coils

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Matt@OPS

[email protected]

Dec 12, 2012
    I apologize if this is elementary but I can't come up with an efficient way to create a variable dc load. What I am trying to do is simulate the load that electrical coils on hydraulic valves create on a circuit. I assume 12-14 volts dc and maximum load needed of 10 amps. I need to be able to say add a load of 4.5 amps @ 12vdc and see if my control device can really handle that load. The issue I'm having is proving the load rating of some equipment.
    I have look at the electronic load test equipment and that is a possibility. However I wanted to be sure there wasn't a simpler (less expensive option.)

Thanks for any time one might have to help.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A coil behaves differently from from a static load. It has a dynamic impedance: When a voltage is applied, the current though the coil rises (more or less) linearly until the current is limited by the DC resistance of the windings.

Therefore the simplest way to simulate a coil is a coil. Otherwise you'd need some fancy electronic circuit that mimics that behaviour.

Harald

Ask a Question