Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simplest way to switch a circuit from closed to open with 3v

Doughy

Apr 2, 2011
Hello all,

I am trying to make a switch with a transistor that is controlled by a 3v source. I have a device that when it senses motion, it turns on 3v on a pin. I want to take that 3v and make the other side of the circuit go from a closed circuit to open.

I assume that a transistor would be the best bet for this, and I've figure out how to take an NPN transistor and go from open to closed with the 3v input being turned on the base. However, I'm trying to figure out how to go from closed to open with the same 3v input to the base. Any thoughts?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ok have slightly modded a cct from another piece of gear I have

you will need 2 transistors ... still nice and easy

attachment.php

With no 3V from you controlling device Q1 is turned off. The base supply to Q2 keeps Q2 turned on. When 3V is supplied to the base of Q1, the base voltage of the Q2 is grounded via the collector -emitter of Q1. As a result Q2 is switched off and no current is flowing through the load through collector and emitter of Q2.
The 33k is ok for a 3 to 5 V range if you use a higher voltage there 9 - 12 V then up the resistor value a bit
Q1 can be any small signal transistor say a BC546. Q2 depends on your load and current requirements, if under ~ 100mA then it could be a BC546 as well

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Switch.gif
    Switch.gif
    2 KB · Views: 1,599

Doughy

Apr 2, 2011
Or.... just use a PNP transistor.

OK, I see. Connect base to output of the logic. While low, it will allow the current to flow. Then when the base goes high to 3V, it should reverse bias the PNP and open the circuit. Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just make sure that your circuit is powered from no more than about 3.5V.

It may be that the output is open collector or open drain, in which case a pull-up resistor will be required (and the voltage restriction above doesn't matter)

Beware if this 3V signal comes from a device that has protection from static discharge, or parasitic diodes as these may cause current to flow if the output is forced beyond 0 to 3V.

Davenn's solution is not affected by these problems.