Connect with us

Simple Question

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Chris Lewis, Feb 9, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chris Lewis

    Chris Lewis Guest

    I want to build a simple cable that will mute the speakers on my computer
    when i plug in headphones. I guess i can do it with a 3.5mm plug and a
    coule of 3.5mm sockets.

    I need some way of connecting them so that one output loses its connection
    when the other is connected.

    I tried google but didnt find anything usefull. If anyone could point me in
    the direction of a circuit diagram and also somewhere good to buy the parts
    in the UK it would be really appreciated.


  2. cor

    cor Guest

    Try RadioShack. Look for a female headphone plug.
  3. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

    cable that will mute the speakers on my computer
    If you're plugging into the CD drive, it won't work.

    You will have to open the speaker unit
    and replace & rewire the existing jack
    (badly named--should be called a Jill) with one of these.

    Your local supplier will have one.

    The easy way is to buy a speaker set that does this naturally.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day