Connect with us

Simple passive low pass filter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dougster, Mar 10, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dougster

Dougster

Nov 8, 2014
    I'm wondering if one of you math wizards might help me. I want to make a simple, basic low pass filter (1 cap and 1 resister) to block any frequencies above about 300 cps. I found some formulas, but I get lost in the capacitive reactance and impedance stuff. I would like to use a low value resistor if possible. Input is about 210 volts @ 200 cps. Any ideas? Even approximate values would help. Thanks for any help you might give me.
    Regards,
    Doug

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Is this a low power application?
    There are calculators all over the net for audio nuts to calculate values for High-pass, Low-pass and Band-pass filters.

3. luca_zzz

luca_zzz

Mar 10, 2015
    R*C = 10 * (1/300) sec

4. Dougster

Dougster

Nov 8, 2014
    No, it's not low power. Thanks luca_zzz. That looks simple enough! I'll try it!!!

5. LvW

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
    "...to block any frequencies above about 300 cps."

I suppose you know that it is not possible "to block" frequencies above the so-called "cut-off" frequency.
    A first order RC lowpass - as envisaged by you - attenuates unwanted frequencies only with an attenuation rate of 20dB/decade.
    For better attenuation you need a higher order filter.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    10 Ohms, 47uF for a cutoff of 338 Hz.

Of course, cutoff frequency is the frequency where the response will be down by 3dB, then 6dB per octave after that.

Edit:

or 1 Ohm 470uF
    or 100 Ohm 4.7uF
    etc

Bob

Ask a Question