Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple IGBT failure

Fowlet

Aug 20, 2011
Hello All,

Am currently in Fort Portal, Uganda, attempting to build an induction generator controller with very limited resources. As part of the design, I intend to to PWM the ~240V RMS produced by the generator. Right now, I am attempting to simply switch mains on/off at low frequency to test some IGBTs. I have a 12V transformer, that after RMS peak and a regulation of around 1.4 gives around 20V pk-pk AC out. I rectify this, then divide it using two 1kOhm resistors to give 0V, ~10V and ~20V connections.

The IGBTs have integrated antiparallel diodes, so I place them in antiseries, with common emitters. I connect the emitters to the ~10V connection. I then run a wire from the two IGBT gates, and manually touch it to the 0V and 20V connections, in an attempt to give gate-emitter voltages of -10V and 10V. The IGBTs do not respond, seemingly blocking in one direction regardless of connection. I have attached a diagram of the circuit I intend to use this method in; ignore everything in grey, and ignore the transistor; as I said, I am manually connecting the wire to avoid any complications.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into the IGBT's lack of response.

HighLowDriveIGBT.jpg