Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Class D amplifier PSU is OK?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
Hello,
Can I do an offline (230VAC) SMPS for Class D amplifier supply (for guitar) with a simple "burst mode" control type, Two Transistor Forward SMPS?

ie, Vout divided down and put into a comparator.....when vout goes below regulation, the comparator trips and sends the tripped signal through a digital isolator to the primary side controller, which simply turns on the gate driver with a fixed duty cycle......as soon as the vout goes below the regulation value, the comparator again trips and the primary side controller simply turns the switching FET(s) off.......and then repeat.

Whats wrong with this?

If its EMC , then I can have a "soft start" so that every time the switching FET is turned on for a "burst", the duty cycle is steadily increased, over say 10 switching cycles, to the maximum duty cycle.

Will this be OK?

I wouldn't have PFC simply because class D amplifiers , on average, never operate above 1/8th of their maximum power.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I like your posts very interesting, they always need some thought. I think you should sign yourself off as E^2 I.e e times e. Its a type of memory. Because I can never remember your name lol.