Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Circuit

jbear123

Jul 28, 2010
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i'll ask anyway..

I am new to electronics and trying to think of a set up for the following..

I need a circuit, which can be broken. Something must measure the amount of times the circuit breaks within a minute (or constantly makes an average of per minute).

I was thinking have a circuit with two routes, one with a higher resistance, and the other where the circuit can be broken. Then measure the number of times the current passes through the route of higher resistance?

How could i do this as simply as possible?

Thanks if you can help!

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Can you explain what you're really trying to do? What would break a circuit?
It may be easier for us to help solve your problem...than try to solve your solution. ;)

Ken

jbear123

Jul 28, 2010
hi!

I'd literally like to count how many times two pieces of metal come apart, breaking the circuit.

For example, I have a battery, with two wires attached with metal spades on the end. I hold the spades together, and want something to count how many times they come apart, breaking the circuit.

Imagine im sat in a car and holding the spades together, one in each hand, and someone is driving me around a race track. I want to know how many times i get thrown about and the two spades come apart per minute..

So how could i make my circuit able to count this? Could i put in an electromechanical counter which has an integrated timer, which averages out pulses over a minute?

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
That's better. Essentially you're looking for a tachometer circuit: "separations" per minute instead of "revolutions" per minute.
One of the issues is how frequently the contacts will "officially separate". This is an matter of "contact bounce". Very short, rapid separations as the contacts come back together, that you may want to ignore.

Ken

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
You could just use a counting IC (basically it's a counter that needs a clock input to work, this clock input is just your circuit breaking over and over again)
I used a similar concept to make a counter to count the number of times a laser is switched on and off on a sensor using the 4026 chip (look it up)...
If you need very specific instructions(if you're a total newbie) then just ask and i'll try to help.

Good luck

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
For the situation you described I would use a piezo vibration sensor(with mass).
It produces votage as it flexes so you could calibrate a comparator to only pulse high when a certain level of impact/jarring is detected and that signal could go to the counter previously described. Then if you really want to have fun you could use 3 sensors representing the X,Y and Z axes to give you a better feel for the type of disturbances you are experiencing.

Good luck
-Nick-