Connect with us

simple but not working - help !

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by sparhawk, Jun 4, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sparhawk

    sparhawk Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a creative surroundsound system connected to my computer.
    A few days ago the adapter stopped working. So i bought a new adapter with
    the same specs.

    Original adapter: 12V AC , 4.2A max
    New adapter : 12V AC , 6A max

    I took the plug and connected the 2 wires from the new adapter to the plug,
    brown and blue wire. Then i shielded them with special tape.

    When i plug into the subwoofer i get alot of noise through all speakers,
    sounds like tearing alot of paper. So i quickly unplugged it.

    Now guys, what did i do wrong ?

    If for example the new adapter outputs not 12V but 13.8V ... could that be
    causing this problem ?

    Thank you for any advise !
  2. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    Could it be that the old adaptor stoppped working because there is a
    fault with the speakers which is overloading the new adaptor, or , are
    you sure the old adaptor was AC and nor DC?

  3. sparhawk

    sparhawk Guest

    Hello Ron,

    Trust me, i triple checked and got the original even here on my desk.

    By the way, this is the link to the creative set i have with some

    The new adapter is not one of those heavy ones but rather uses
    electronic components to do its job. Dunno if that might be a problem.
  4. NSM

    NSM Guest

    That doesn't sound like an AC output adaptor. They MUST use a heavy
    transformer. Can you post the label for the new supply?

  5. sparhawk

    sparhawk Guest

    Hi !

    This the information of the new supply:


    E.611955 - AC powersupply 12V-75W
    AC powersupply / Halogeen Transformer - 12 Volt - 75 Watt.

    Input: 230 Volt
    output: 12 Volt ac - max. 75 Watt

    What you think ? This one is very light compared to the original in
    weight, but that is because it uses electronic components to do the job
    or so.
  6. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    Yes it could be, a cheap switch mode psu might produce a lot of hash
    that the amplifier doesn`t appreciate.

  7. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    Hold on.. do they actually make ac to ac switch mode psu`s? A quick
    scan through a large electronics supply catalogue doesn`t show any.

  8. If that is a switcher, take it back and get a real transformer.

    There's all sorts of switching noise that's not going to be filtered by
    a typical amplifier.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
    Repair | Main Table of Contents:
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
    | Mirror Sites:

    Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive
    traffic on

    Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
    ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can
    contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
  9. Sure, but it is meant to power halogeen bulbs, not an amplifier. Lamps are
    not critical for waveform and frequency but the rectifier and regulator of
    your amplifier are. The electronics you mention consist of a high frequency
    switcher and I should not be astonished the 12VAC it produces to be some
    tenth of kHz and far from sinusoidal.

    petrus bitbyter
  10. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Ah, when you said electronic components I wondered if you were trying to use
    a halogen transformer. Those don't put out 50 (or 60) Hz, they're more like
    a triac light dimmer. I'm very surprised you didn't get smoke and fireworks
    when you plugged in the speakers. You need a magnetic transformer, not a
    switchmode lamp regulator.
  11. NSM

    NSM Guest

    Yes. Do not use this. Find a good solid AC transformer type. A lamp is a
    resistive load and can run off many different sources that can fry your

  12. sparhawk

    sparhawk Guest

    Guys, thanks alot for the good advise and your time !

    I'm going to bring this thing back and get a normal transformer (no
    halogeen stuff). I hope i can find an ac - ac transformer, else i'll
    have to see if i can get one from creative itself.

    Thanks again !
  13. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Those halogen "transformers" are pretty useful for other things, if you wire
    one to a car ignition coil you can get some pretty decent sparks.
  14. NSM

    NSM Guest

    Maplin's or similar? Maybe even Radio Shack?

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day