Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simp.e romote control

overture3d

Sep 28, 2012
I am working on a project that needs to have a switch that can be activated by a wireless remote from a distance. Does anyone know if you can just buy a remote activated switch and where I might find one?

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
What are you trying to switch? And from what distance. And are we talking line of sight, or through obstacles.

overture3d

Sep 28, 2012
Not through obstacles, I just want to be able to activate a circuit when I press a button from a distance. I am going to try using an infared LED and IR phototransitor and see if it works, but I have never built this kind of thing before so I don't really know if I am doing it right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82724053@N08/8057558454/in/photostream/

Theoretically, when the infared phototransitor recognizes light, it should activate the second transistor and allow the capacitor to discharge. Does this look like it will work?

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Is the fuse symbol (s-curve between circles) the load? That circuit won't work because the forward drop of each transistor is 0.6V. The combination is 1.2V between the battery and the load. If there is any drop across the 100Ω resistor, there is no voltage left for the load. I've worked with IR Led's and IR photo transistors, and without chopping (eliminates ambient light interference) , amplification and collimation your range will be in inches at best.
Here is a receiver that you could use with an old IR TV remote:http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1247.html

Ken

Ken

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Not through obstacles, I just want to be able to activate a circuit when I press a button from a distance. I am going to try using an infared LED and IR phototransitor and see if it works, but I have never built this kind of thing before so I don't really know if I am doing it right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82724053@N08/8057558454/in/photostream/

Theoretically, when the infared phototransitor recognizes light, it should activate the second transistor and allow the capacitor to discharge. Does this look like it will work?

no, for the reasons Ken said

is this to be used indoors or outdoors or both ? over what sort of distance ?
Dont expect anything more than ~ 5 - 8 metres from a IR remote.

If I was you I would forget IR and look just a little further down that page Ken linked to and you will see the wireless remotes that use a radio signal like the item 17400... work over longer distances, no hassles with ambient light sources as with IR

there are much cheaper versions of these available on Ebay

cheers
Dave

overture3d

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks. I went ahead and hooked up the IR transistor and it works for my purposes but I see what you are talking about with the ambient light and all. Next time I need a remote I will try the radio signal remote like you are talking about. IR is only giving me a few meters right now. How far does a radio signal work?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How far away is your closest radio station?

The answer depends on power output, receiver sensitivity, etc

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
RF is good and the NRF24 series offers a cheap way to get into them. there are alternatives to this module and ones that work on different frequencies. the nrf24 series is 2.4ghz so if you have alot of devices on that frequency look for an alternative. most cordless phones, wifi, av senders etc work on this frequency so expect some interference.
I have seen a base tranciever for a mere $2 on ebay. its the wiring it up and finding a microcontroller to run it that is the expensive part.

thomas evers

Oct 21, 2016
RF is good and the NRF24 series offers a cheap way to get into them. there are alternatives to this module and ones that work on different frequencies. the nrf24 series is 2.4ghz so if you have alot of devices on that frequency look for an alternative. most cordless phones, wifi, av senders etc work on this frequency so expect some interference.
I have seen a base tranciever for a mere $2 on ebay. its the wiring it up and finding a microcontroller to run it that is the expensive part.
Hai, I can see that you have some knowledge about the nrf24.
I have two with PA and LNA, i have been using 10 different kinds of code. But they cant seem to connect to each other. My arduino's give out 50 ma. This is way more than the nrf's use at LOW power which i set it at.
I also have a 10 uf capacitor across the 3.3 v and ground as an extra power resevoir.
I have used any kind of code possible so that cant be the problem. All of these used the same library.
This is the easiest code that i used.

TRANSMIT
#include <SPI.h>
#include <nRF24L01.h>
#include <RF24.h>

RF24 radio(7, 8);

const byte rxAddr[6] = "00001";

void setup()
{
radio.begin();
radio.setRetries(15, 15);
radio.openWritingPipe(rxAddr);
radio.stopListening();
}

void loop()
{
const char text[] = "Hello World";
radio.write(&text, sizeof(text));
delay(1000);

RECEIVE
#include <SPI.h>
#include <nRF24L01.h>
#include <RF24.h>

RF24 radio(7, 8);

const byte rxAddr[6] = "00001";

void setup()
{
while (!Serial);
Serial.begin(9600);
radio.begin();
radio.openReadingPipe(0, rxAddr);
radio.startListening();
}

void loop()
{
if (radio.available())
{
char text[32] = {0};
radio.read(&text, sizeof(text));

Serial.println(text);
}
Serial.println("Nothin here");
}

PLEASE help me, i am lost.
if you need any more info, i am happy to give it to you.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'd always use a separate 3v3 regulator.

I'm also sure there is sample code for those libraries. Have you tried it?

If I remember I'll pull out the code I've used to get these devices to talk to each other.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I use the RF24Network library for the stuff I do.

Both it and the RF24 library come with a heap of examples. Have you got them working?

The "GettingStarted" sketch is probably the place to start.