Connect with us

Signal Split into 2 recording units

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MicroSeismicTech, Sep 14, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MicroSeismicTech

MicroSeismicTech

Sep 14, 2011
    I have a signal coming across a single pair cable. I then have the cable split into to cables at the end. On the one end of the split (Side A) I have a signal recording unit with an input impedance differential mode, 40KΩ || 15nF, Common mode CS3301 amplifier input 1MΩ. and on the other side of the split (Side B) I have a signal recording unit with an input impedance differential mode, 20KΩ || 77nF, Common mode 105KΩ. The issue is that the Side B records the signal fine but the Side A records the same signal at a reduced amplitude. I would like to record both and have a compassion between the 2 recording units. If this possible with a straight split or would I need to manufacture a split that has an amplifier built in to compensate for the difference in dc offset?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you would need a matching network at the split point so that the signal was split evenly so that the load on one end of the split didnt affect the signal going the other path. this is usually achieved by buffering the split signal

what sort of signal is it ? audio?, Rf?, video?, data ? that will determine the componentry needed for the splitter,

you also need to realise that when you split this signal, you are only going to get 1/2 the signl level down each split path.
    This can be overcome in various ways but lets find out what you are using it for, for a start

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question