Maker Pro
Maker Pro

side affect after disassebling electronics

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
I have a question, I was taking apart a printer "for stepper motors" and a power supply when I started to get tingling in mouth and tongue. It lasted for a couple hrs after I finished; today I am in the room where the parts are and I am getting the same thing but also in my face. Is this coincidence? The electronics are from 2000 and newer. I know this sounds weird but thought I would ask

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have a question, I was taking apart a printer "for stepper motors" and a power supply when I started to get tingling in mouth and tongue. It lasted for a couple hrs after I finished; today I am in the room where the parts are and I am getting the same thing but also in my face. Is this coincidence? The electronics are from 2000 and newer. I know this sounds weird but thought I would ask
Tingling. Any taste?
Nothing was plugged in? Did you hold onto any live wires? Did you accidentally shock yourself with any capacitors?
(Do you have anything in the room that emits lots of electrical noise?)

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
Nothing had been plugged in for years. It was like a metallic taste, a perfect description is when you put a 9V battery on your tongue. It had same feel and the same taste.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Nothing had been plugged in for years. It was like a metallic taste, a perfect description is when you put a 9V battery on your tongue. It had same feel and the same taste.
Sounds like electricity, but it's hard to tell. That's why I asked about electrically noisy devices.... but without noticing it, I would lean more on some kind of allergy.

I would relocate the parts and clear / clean the room to. (Put the parts in a sealed container)
If the room still gives you this feeling... are you located below high voltage power lines?

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
All I have in here is a mill, a lathe, and those parts from printer and computer board. Oh and an Arduino with sensors

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
I also wanted to thank you for the quick replies, I appreciate it

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I also wanted to thank you for the quick replies, I appreciate it
No prob. I hope you figure it out. I don't like the sounds of it, but without seeing the room, or the environment it could be a number of things... You will need to troubleshoot to determine if it's the room, or something on/in the parts you salvaged.

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, to be honest I was getting kind of worried. I took all the parts and put them in a tote, since then I have not had any problems. I am wondering if it is some sort of allergy to something.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Toner powder maybe ? if it was a laser printer Or ink traces if it was inkjet ?

It sounds like an allergy but doubt it has anything to do with electronics.

You dont happen to be very close to CellPhone Tranceiver antenna right ?

Brentb1

Feb 12, 2016
Not that I know of, I live about 10 min. from a small city. There isn't much by me except fields.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Not that I know of, I live about 10 min. from a small city. There isn't much by me except fields.
I would chalk it up to an allergy then. What's in there? Do your best to recall any parts.
The part that concerns be is the tingling sensation could be caused by something 'topical' irritating your skin, or it could be a nervous system reaction. The fact that it was worse the second time is troublesome

BarryTX

Feb 14, 2016
You might want to put a portable HEPA air filter unit in that room, we did that in a dorm room some years ago and it did seem to help with the allergies. If you do, you need to stay on top of when the filter needs to be changed to keep it working well.