Maker Pro

shunt resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yehuda

Sep 18, 2021
Hey, guys!

I'm about to use a High-Side Shunt.

The shunt should be at R6, according to the documentation. But what is the rationale behind R18/R19?

In series with the shunt resistor, they add additional 20 Ohms, which is too much for my application.

(It takes 3 Ohms for my system to become unstable.)

Could you also clarify what R8/R7 are for?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hey, guys!

I'm about to use a High-Side Shunt.

The shunt should be at R6, according to the documentation. But what is the rationale behind R18/R19?

In series with the shunt resistor, they add additional 20 Ohms, which is too much for my application.

(It takes 3 Ohms for my system to become unstable.)

Could you also clarify what R8/R7 are for?

Thanks!

Without any reference, your guess is as good as anyones.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What are R6, R18, R19 etc.? Show us a circuit diagram so we have an idea what you are talking about.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I've read some articles like shunt resistor, but I still don't know what to do.
Hmmm. I tried to polish up my crystal ball with a green plastic scouring pad impregnated with some sort of abrasive compound, but instead of a clear crystal ball (suitable for remote viewing and seeing the future more clearly), all I got was a cloudy crystal ball that reveals nothing! Now I have to polish my crystal ball again with a fine red rouge, which I normally reserve for polishing homemade telescope mirrors. My bad.

So my suggestion is this: take a picture of whatever schematic you have that includes R6, R18, and R19 and upload it as an attachment to your next post. I offer this suggestion because I won't be polishing up my crystal ball anytime real soon now, and therefore can't see WTF those three resistors have to do with how, when, or where you install your "High-Side Shunt." Same-o, same-o with regard R8/R7, so please include those two resistors in your schematic image if you want us to tell you what they do.

If you just want to measure current somewhere, use an insulated wire of appropriate gauge for the current expected and install it where you would install your "High-Side Shunt." Leave enough slack in the wire to allow the use of a clamp-on type ammeter to measure the current. The clamp-on ammeter creates a magnetic path that intercepts the magnetic field created by current in the wire and (if you use the right type of meter) will measure AC as well as DC currents using a Hall-effect sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.