Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Shunt covers?

dssteven

May 9, 2012
Shunt covers and DB9 cables

Hey everyone

Need help finding a few things...

1. An electrical shunt cover. I use shunts all the time and when I do, I tru to make sure if they fall, they will not hit anything that is grounded and cause damage (to themselves or whatever it is they hit). I'm going through a lot of electrical tape making this work and would greatly appreciate any other suggestions as to a sleeve or box of some sort . If they're sold somewhere that would be great, otherwise I can make my own per your suggestions.
EDIT: This is the shunt I'm using: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70209540 since I know they come in all different sorts and sizes... I looked on Allied and googled some but came up with nothing good... Any suggestions are appreciated

2. A cable that has a Female DB9 on one end and just the open wires on the other. I only plan on using terminals 2, 3 and 7 and the ground (I assume it is grounded to the connector itself?) but I wouldn't be opposed to a connector with all 9 terminals wired out. Does anybody know of a company that makes wires that match these descriptions? I've been googling for a while and I haven't really found anything solid. I'd rather not buy Female to Female or something and just cut one end off, such a waste!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for this.

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I use heavy plastic stand-offs, bolted with the case fastening screws (you need
longer ones), and a piece of plexiglass over the shunt.
I don't know of anyone who makes commercial ones, unless the company that makes
the shunt offers one. (Did you ask them?)
You may get better ideas, but that's one for you.
It works good for me, and the electrical inspectors where I work have no problem with them.

dssteven

May 9, 2012
I don't know of anyone who makes commercial ones, unless the company that makes the shunt offers one. (Did you ask them?).

I asked, they haven't gotten back to me yet. Thanks for the idea! I'll see what I can do with it. More ideas are welcome also. Thanks!

EDIT: Company just called me back. He said they don't make anything of the sort. He said most people just throw them in a wooden box and call it good. Shrtrnd's idea is looking like what most people do! hah, thanks!

Last edited:

dssteven

May 9, 2012
Maybe even like some sort of neoprene sleeve that just slides over top of it. Like what you would put your iPad or something in but cylindrical... Does anybody know of a company that makes cylindrical neoprene stretch tubing? It would have to stretch too so it fits tightly around the shunt...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
2. A cable that has a Female DB9 on one end and just the open wires on the other. I only plan on using terminals 2, 3 and 7 and the ground (I assume it is grounded to the connector itself?) but I wouldn't be opposed to a connector with all 9 terminals wired out. Does anybody know of a company that makes wires that match these descriptions? I've been googling for a while and I haven't really found anything solid. I'd rather not buy Female to Female or something and just cut one end off, such a waste!

If you only need one cutting off the connector might appear wasteful but it's hardly something you should really be concerned with... If you need multiples get the cables with a connector on both sizes twice as long as you need and cut down the middle ;) Two cables no waste...

As far as covers, something custom could be fabricated and made, but it's likely cost prohibitive unless you need a lot of them... There are a few alternatives I can envision but they might be very cost ineffective unless you can spread the cost out over multiple units or have a budget...

dssteven

May 9, 2012
If you need multiples get the cables with a connector on both sizes twice as long as you need and cut down the middle ;) Two cables no waste...

Knowledge in numbers. This is why I'm on the forums. I can't believe I didn't even consider that but different viewpoints are a great thing. Thanks CocaCola.

As for the cover, it definitely appears I'll have to fabricate something myself. I just thought I'd throw the question up in the air and see if anybody knew a manufacturer. I only need 1 or two and I can find some scrap wood or plexi laying around I'm sure.

This forum is by far the most legit (helpful, fun, friendly etc.) I've come across in my short electronics career. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!