Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Shredder Repair (Fellowes)

tyneweartech

Feb 27, 2016
Hi All,

Trying to find some suggestions, or recommendations of similar items to repair my shredder
To save time, answers from the help topic

It's a common problem, help articles on the web suggestion an M2730 transformer, but it's a discontinued product. I've spoke to fellowes support and they do not stock individual items

I've looked on the web for 15.6v mini transformers and found similar ones with variations on the voltage. Will these be OK to use or do I need to find exact ones for 15.6v output?

LINKY

0) Fellowes - PS77CS Shredder
1) Device receives power from wall, but does not power the motor.
2) Happened instantly - just stopped working one day
3) Wear and tear, has been dropped a few times
4) No burn damage
5) DB-0812D Mini Transformer (220v > 15.6v) came apart from the board. It was listed as 3+4 for specs. Not sure what this means
6) PHOTOS -- Please give us some good photos of any areas obviously affected.
20151227_102931.jpg

tyneweartech

Feb 27, 2016
Hiya

The specs for the transformer online are 220v input load
15.6v output load

8*11
3+4

Are the other numbers I don't know. I wasn't sure if I could use other 15v transformers or if it had to be exactly 15.6v

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I can't believe a shredder would worry about a 0.6V difference.

tyneweartech

Feb 27, 2016
Ha thanks

Transformers aren't my forte so I wasn't sure if it was ok or would be within tolerances.

I found plenty of 220v to 15v cheap enough on ebay and the I could fit one to see if it works

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Check the dimensions against those of the original transformer. If you've got space for it, go for a slightly larger one, which is less likely to be as stressed as the original.
Let's hope the problem was the transformer; not something else which overloaded the transformer.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Dimensions 8cm by 11cm?
3+4 may be referring to taps 3 and 4 of secondary.
I would not put too much faith in 15.6v.
I suspect it may be a 14v transformer that outputs 15.6v unloaded.

Take a look at the board and see if there are any markings indicating voltage. Also (looking in power supply section) see if there is a regulator like a Lm78XX that may clue you in to circuit voltage.

One of the first things I'd do, was ohm out the motor and see if it passes a sniff test.

plastic96

Dec 10, 2021
I have the same shredder, but a different problem. The shredder will keep running as long as the power switch is on. The automatic stop no longer functions as it did. I've cleaned the IR sensor carefully but without effect. Does anyone know if the IR receiver fail mode is closed? This would make sense as the shredder still works though it has to be controlled with the manual switch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've spent a long time looking for a circuit diagram, but have only found generic ones thus far. If anyone has one that would be great.

tyneweartech

Feb 27, 2016
I have the same shredder, but a different problem. The shredder will keep running as long as the power switch is on. The automatic stop no longer functions as it did. I've cleaned the IR sensor carefully but without effect. Does anyone know if the IR receiver fail mode is closed? This would make sense as the shredder still works though it has to be controlled with the manual switch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've spent a long time looking for a circuit diagram, but have only found generic ones thus far. If anyone has one that would be great.

I'd like to say the answer is yes to this but I don't know.

I fixed this shredder basically by buying a new transformer that was bigger and cutting into the board and running some wiring. I actually think part of the board was damaged or shorted science the Triac seems to be getting a voltage spike now and you see a flash of white when switching on and it runs but hey still works.

With regards to the IR fail open mode

It's possible because my IR broke off. I solder on a random one I found and it runs but doesn't stop on detection of paper

Not sure if it helps.