Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Should this circuit work?

Zbugera369

Sep 10, 2013
http://www.technologystudent.com/elec_flsh/timer1a.html

I attempted to build the circuit on this page on my breadboard, and can't seem to get it to do anything.

I'm not very experienced as of yet (newly acquired hobby), but based on what I know, and how the website described it, it should work fine. Yet I can't get it to do anything.

My power supply is a 9-volt battery, since I know the operating voltage can be anywhere between 3 and 15 volts.

I know the question is pretty open-ended, but if it should work, that's all I need to know so I can get back to experimenting. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the specs. I used a 1M ohm resistor and a 15 pF cap, and the transistor I used was a 2N222. I'm positive I have the legs connected correctly.

Last edited:

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
What did you connect the other pins of the 555 IC to?

I suggest you google a copy of the Data Sheet for the 555, and read about what the other pins are for.

The author of that link left out some very important connections on the other pins.

Zbugera369

Sep 10, 2013
What did you connect the other pins of the 555 IC to?

I suggest you google a copy of the Data Sheet for the 555, and read about what the other pins are for.

The author of that link left out some very important connections on the other pins.

This time, nothing. I was under the impression that when he said 'real circuit' it truly was that simple. So I only connected pins 2 and 3.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dont be put off mate ... thats yet another typical example of the crap presented on the www these days ... totally useless
No capacitor or resistor starting values given .... your 22p is way too small use something ~ 1uF to 10uF

It doesnt show the power connections to the IC ... it aint gonna work with out them

here's a link to the datasheet

you will see power + goes to pin 8 and power - goes to pin 1

here is a link to a LED flasher using the timer

cheers
Dave

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Dont be put off mate ... thats yet another typical example of the crap presented on the www these days ... totally useless
No capacitor or resistor starting values given .... your 22p is way too small use something ~ 1uF to 10uF

It doesnt show the power connections to the IC ... it aint gonna work with out them

here's a link to the datasheet

you will see power + goes to pin 8 and power - goes to pin 1

here is a link to a LED flasher using the timer

cheers
Dave

Yeah!...What he said!....LMAO!