Connect with us

Should I be able to use this battery with these LED's?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Doc_K, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Doc_K

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
  2. KTW

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
  3. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The LEDs spec a maximum allowed voltage of 14.8V but the battery has 4 cells that are each fully charged to 4.2V then the maximum battery voltage is too high at 16.8V. The battery voltage averages 14.8V when it is half-discharged.

The battery is lithium rechargeable and it is destroyed if it discharges to less than about 12V so you need a low voltage detect circuit that disconnects the LED strip.

4. Doc_K

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015

Awesome! Thank you for the advice! Do you have a link to one I could consider using?

5. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    All products that use a rechargeable Lithium battery have a low voltage detect and disconnect circuit. You could use a comparator and voltage reference (an LM10 IC has both) and the circuit must disconnect them also so they don't continue to run down the battery voltage. Maybe ebay has a circuit.

6. Doc_K

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
    So with the LED's, will I see a brightness change depending on the voltage of the battery? I'm looking at using airsoft batteries for reliability.

7. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    Before we talked about a lithium 4 cells battery that is 12.8V when it should be disconnected and is 16.8V when fully charged which is too high for the 12V LEDs strips with a maximum allowed voltage of 14.8V.

The Airsolt battery might have 3 Lithium cells which is 9.6V to 12.6V. Of course the brightness dims as the battery voltage runs down, the LED strips use only a resistor to limit the current.

8. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Ask a Question