Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Shorted my Inverter

7rrivera7

Nov 19, 2013
While preparing several ítems for a car show, I accidently let the positive and negative 12v battery leads touch and spark while connected to my invertir. Now when I turn it on. it whistles and there is not AC voltage out.

Although this unit has 3 fuses. none of them opened so I guess the failure was too quick for them. I tested all the FETs and none are bad so where do I start testing?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, so the inverter was connected to the battery and you accidentally shorted the leads between the battery and the inverter?

What this will do is initially cause the voltage to the inverter to fall as the leads are shorted, then as the short opens, a nasty thing called inductance causes the voltage to rise sharply (and that's where the sparks come from).

That sudden rise in voltage can cause damage to semiconductors, but won't blow fuses :-(

You have almost certainly destroyed one or more semiconductors. The task is now finding which one (or ones).

What testing did you do? It is possible (indeed probable) that semiconductors other than the main switching mosfets have been damaged.

basit javaid

Jan 12, 2013
Your check each of the diode ,D .. simply check for short circuit ,if the diode short circuit means it a bad diode,change with the same diode .