Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Short

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
Hi, I have a scenario where one end of the resistor in my circuit has 45V and the other end is short to Ground , the 45V end also dips drastically, but not fully to zero , why is this happening , there's also a capacitor involved , is the capacitor trying to avoid the change in voltage.

Attachments

• NG20180723-083248.png
    NG20180723-083248.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 82

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Is it shorted to ground because it is connected to ground, or is it connected to something else? Without you showing more of the circuit, and some information about its intended use to put things in some frame of context, it is very difficult to answer your question.

What voltage
AC or DC
what resistor value
a more complete schematic
did the circuit ever work correctly, or is this a problem in the first prototype
photo of the construction

a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g ...

ak

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hi, I have a scenario where one end of the resistor in my circuit has 45V and the other end is short to Ground ...
What circuit? Where did the 45V come from? What is the ohmic value and wattage rating of the resistor? Why did you say "the other end is short to Ground"? Where else would you connect the other end? What is the value of the capacitor? What type is it? What is its working voltage rating? What is the meaning of the multi-colored dashed lines in your drawing? What is the meaning of the solid blue circle? Your so-called schematic drawing is not only incomplete but appears to be the work of a three-year old child with a set of colored pencils. Please provide more details about what is going on and what you expect.

... the 45V end also dips drastically, but not fully to zero ...
How much does it "dip" and how often does this occur? Why do you think this is abnormal behavior?

..., why is this happening ...
WTF should we know? It's your "circuit" so you tell us what you think should happen. I have misplaced my divining rod today, so no help from me on what's happening.

..., there's also a capacitor involved , is the capacitor trying to avoid the change in voltage.
You speak of the capacitor as if it has a conscious will and can choose (or not) to avoid the change in voltage. This is never the case in my experience. A capacitor is what it is and responds in electrical circuits according to well-known and well-defined laws of physics. It doesn't try to do anything. It just does what a capacitor does.

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
We need more information. Is the resistor connected to ground? What is the value of the resistor? Check the cap for leakage or a short.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
What do you expect to happen when you connect a resistor between +45V and ground?

Bob

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
I would expect a current flow. How much depends on the value of the resistor.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Capacitor C discharges thru R
Only after Vcc (45 V) is removed.

We're clearly in the dark and need Akshatha's answers to Hop's post #3.