Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SFP breakout to another SFP

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
Hey all I am just wondering before I do this if its possible to connect 2 SFP sockets to each other in order to bring in the fiber connection and then take it back out the same way?
BaLGd.jpg

So in the image above, Pin 1 would hook up to Pin 1 on the second SFP socket. Pin 2 would hook up to Pin 2 on the second SFP socket, etc etc...

I'm doing this so that I can bring in the SFP connection into a server case and then once inside the server case I need to hook it up to a motherboard inside there that has the SFP connection.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hey all I am just wondering before I do this if its possible to connect 2 SFP sockets to each other in order to bring in the fiber connection and then take it back out the same way?
BaLGd.jpg

So in the image above, Pin 1 would hook up to Pin 1 on the second SFP socket. Pin 2 would hook up to Pin 2 on the second SFP socket, etc etc...

I'm doing this so that I can bring in the SFP connection into a server case and then once inside the server case I need to hook it up to a motherboard inside there that has the SFP connection.
Are you attempting to tap into it or simply couple two strands together?
You know there are passive components that do this right?

There has to be a reason you chose two SFP devices instead of a simple coupler.

You should also review the pinout... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver#Signals
You can't simply connect pins 1-1, 2-2, etc. This is true with *many* devices. The pins are not bi-directional. At the very least, you may need to swap the Rx, and Tx pins but even then, you may not get what you want to accomplish

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
To better illustrate what I am trying to accomplish:
iYvXT.jpg
Still looks to me like you only need a coupler.
Fiber arrives at the outside of the case, gets plugged into the exposed portion of a 'passive' coupler.
Internally, the hidden side of the coupler is connected to a smaller strand of fiber that goes to your board.

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
it's for my ftth Internet connection so I really don't know what type of fiber connector they use...

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Try here first. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_connector#Types
Step one. Identify the connector in use. Step two, is finding a coupler for that type of connector.
Something that lets you connect a Male - to - Male for example.

Regardless, you want/need a passive coupler. Don't bother messing around with trying to DIY pair two SFP modules together unless you have time and money to burn. Heck, you could even ignore the coupler and find the reverse gender of the connector in use, and simply put a small 'pig-tail' or extension inside the case.

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
this is what the ONT fiber hook up looks like that I am wanting to use (green connector).
HjNHX.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
this is what the ONT fiber hook up looks like that I am wanting to use (green connector).
HjNHX.jpg
It looks like SC to me... but I mainly work with LC.

Next question I have is... why tap into it there?
Does the SFP module you currently have use the same connector? If not, you will need a small patch cord with a different connector on each end.

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
Isn't the SFP cage able to adopt to the needed connector? Be that ethernet, single mode cable or multi-mode cable?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Isn't the SFP cage able to adopt to the needed connector? Be that ethernet, single mode cable or multi-mode cable?
I was asking if the SFP module you *had* used a specific connector. You can buy them with various connectors.
In any case, you may need to do some research to determine what kind of fiber is in use. I think it would most likely be single-mode. Hopefully there is not a vendor specific SFP on the other end of that fiber.

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
I don't have a module.

and I can confirm that it is a single mode xable that comes to the house.