Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Several LED's on Strip Boards

kyle

Oct 8, 2013
Hi all,

First post on here, was stumped earlier as I don't deal with LED's that often (very rare infact).

Basically I am making 4 panels, with several LED's. All to have White LED's. At any one time, only 2 of the panels will be illuminated. They are Marker lights for a full size train, so the White LED's will go behind 2 Clear Lenses & 2 RED Lenses.

I decided it would be a good idea to try ebay and buy a load of strip lights (SMD sort), but the light output isn't as great as I would have hoped for. (their not here to project light, purely marker lights). Looking at the LED strip lights i've made will give you an idea of what i'm trying to do but with stripboard. Possibly 5 columns of LED's is what i'm after - basically to make it more brighter & more uniform in such a small space.

I am looking at buying these for the boards (never worked with the stuff):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Pack...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item51ab8111b5

At the mo, this is half of one side of the marker lights during convertion to SMD sort lighting, so you have an idea of what it's going onto...

20130823_125737_zps41de3996.jpg

20130823_163718_zpsd38a3856.jpg

Can anybody help me, by telling me how I go about doing this using the strip board? The size of stripboard on ebay is about the correct size of one lens.

From my understanding, I need resistors & LED's. Do i need anything else?

Can I connect the LED's in parallel along the stripboard, going by the SMD strip it has a resistor every 3 SMD's, would the same principle apply to the LED board?

I'm estimating about 50 LED's per panel. It will be powered off a 12V Leisure Battery.

Any help or advice much appreciated as i'm stumped, including the size of resistor(s) required? Somebody at work reckons I need a transistor as well, but I'm no expert on the matter & don't even know what a transistor is?

Many thanks in anticipation :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there
welcome :)

have a look here

any other questions after reading that ask away :)

Dave