Connect with us

servo operation

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by chuckd, Jul 27, 2011.

1. chuckd

chuckd

Jun 28, 2011
    Hello,

I am using a servo for an electronics project that only requires the servo to be fully rotated CW or CCW, I dont need for it to be in any other position. I've only found one datasheet for a Parallax brand which explains the PWM control. My question is if I apply 0 volts or ground to the control wire will the servo rotate until the end of its range in one direction? And if I apply 6 volts will it rotate until the end of its range in the other direction? Also, the Parallax datasheet specified a range of 180 degrees, do the typical RC servos have a range of 90 degrees (as Wikipedia suggests)?

Thanks for any feedback,
    Chuck

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    If it is a hobby servo, it requires a series of pulses on the control wire. 1.0 ms is fully CCW and 2.0ms is fully CW. The pulses need to be repeated aout 50 times / second. You cannot control the position with a voltage. The usual angle is 90 degrees, though they will typically go further than this with pulses that are out of spec.

Bob

3. chuckd

chuckd

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the input Bob. I will use a PIC.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Good choice. I have a PIC low-pin-count demo board sitting on my desk next to me with a servo controlled by the pot on the board. I could send you the code if want as a starting point.

Bob

5. chuckd

chuckd

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the offer, but my application is going to be a bit different since the control signal will be transmitted via an ethernet connection.

Chuck

Ask a Question