Connect with us

Servo controlled by Potentiometer

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Protooplasm, Dec 17, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Protooplasm

Protooplasm

Dec 17, 2014
    Hi,
    I am new to the threads and pretty new to electronics and i am trying to control a servo without arduino using a potentiometer or something as simple.

my main goal for my project is to be able to press a button(or flick a switch) and have the servo go from position 1 to position 2, and hit the switch again and it goes back to position 1 etc, etc. i have seen a video on youtube where a servo was controlled using just a servo tester (which makes sense :p ). so my 2 ideas for this project are either having 2 potentiometers hooked to a servo with a switch between them so that the circuit switches from one pot to the other as the controller for position, or having 2 servo testers instead of pots if using just pots don't work.

hopefully that makes sense but i will try a recap on the one that i think has a better shot of working.

if you have 2 servo testers connected to 1 servo with a switch that controls which tester is actively connected, with each servo tester set to a different position, could you potentially just flick the switch and the servo will change to the new position of which ever servo tester it gets changed over to. or does it need an initial turn of the dial to send a pulse when connected to the servo.

sorry for the long first post but i am trying to put in all the info so it makes sense but yeah if anyone knows if that would work or if perhaps there is a simpler and cheaper way to control servo without programming or anything please let me know.

Thanks very much for your help.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    So, I have little experience with a servo tester, but you can program your Arduino to handle multiple servos at the same time.
    Additionally, you can make it 'read' the potentiometer when you push a button and send it to the corresponding servo. You could also have the same servo return to it's start position if it's button is pushed again... All of this would be in the programming. of the arduino.

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A servo cannot be directly controlled by a potentiometer. The pot has to change the width of pulses sent periodically to the servo. The simplest circuit to control a servo would be to use a 555 timer chip. You can look this up on the net and find circuits to do it. Your switch would have to alternate between 2 resistors to control the timing.
    Bob

4. Protooplasm

Protooplasm

Dec 17, 2014
    Thank you both, i will look into arduino and 555 timers and see which one i figure out the quickest and try that. Thanks again.

Ask a Question