Connect with us

"Serious doubts about transformers and their safety"

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by barathbushan, Nov 17, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    hi guys , i have some doubts , about transformers

[​IMG]

recently i bought a 12-012 centre tapped transformer , i know the basics of using it , but there are still some doubts crawling in my head

1) i have read in some other thread at other forum , that when the mains power (230 v)
    is given to the secondary terminals of normal step down transformers like the one i have bought , the primary terminals give increased voltage of about 1000v (step up action) . [IN SHORT THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY CONNECTIONS ARE REVERSED]

2) also what would happen if the secondary terminals are accidentally shorted , is there a built in short circuit protection ??

3) my transformer is rated at 1 amp , what if i try to pull more current from it ??

4) how long can a transformer be operated at full load ??

since we are dealing with electricals not electronics, "SAFETY" matters so please dont give answers if you are not perfecty sure about .

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I took the liberty of relaxing the heading a little. These are after all very old and tried issues.

1) That may happen only to a limited voltage and time.
    The core will saturate (before the voltage even doubles) and thereby limit the voltage, while the current increases to a level that will blow fuses or even the transformer wire.
    The safety lies in the hands of the equipment designer. For example he should not use a contact on the secondary side that any mains wire could be plugged into.

2) The current will go sky-high, limited only by the combined impedances of the primary & secondary. It can stand this condition for several seconds though.
    A few specially designed transformers have current limiting built onto their (magnetic) design. Others rely on external fuses and some even use built-in thermal fuses.
    If a fuse is not provided then ultimately the primary wire may act as a fuse and the transformer is d-e-a-d for good.

3) Depending on its size, the start temperature, and the amount of overcurrent, it may work well for minutes. It's all about a gradual temperature increase & - failure.

4) 100% of the time (indefinitely) unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.: For example; solder guns & welding transformers often have a use/rest time period limit.

3. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    in all of the above issues besides the transformer going dead ,is their any thing dangerous going to happen , like a explosion , catching fire etc

actually by using the transformer as mentioned in this site http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/lasersup.asp

i shorted my mains , luckily i got away , since i used a fuse , but still lot of sparks flew everywhere , obviously the idiot who wrote rhe article in the site i mentioned , had not tested his circuit , befor giving out his nonsense and reckless circuit .

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Sparks can fly, and if you have too much dust on the floor (or curtains or other flammables nearby) then for sure a fire can start.
    The transformer itself won't sustain much of a fire, it's made from fire inhibiting materials except for the magnet wire varnish, but still the mains packs a couple of kW's.

That (laser tube power supply) is one of the worst designs I have ever seen, it's completely hilarious... Good thing you at least had the sense to put a fuse in there.
    You can use transformers in reverse, and you can squeeze a little more voltage out of them than intended, but you can't put 115V into a 9V winding and get away with it.
    I feel sorry for everyone actually trying to build it, and for the laser tubes being run by it should anyone ever be able to find a transformer capable of dealing with that abuse.

Good utilisation of a transformer core involves running it as close to saturation as possible. That places a distinct limit on the overvoltage you can hope to put through it.
    Everyone wants to save size, weight, & costs on transformers, so naturally that is the way all manufacturers would choose to make it.
    If they didn't then the transformer in question would be big, bulky, & costly for its power rating, and it would have the potential of being rewound for much more power.

The "correct" way of making a simple laser tube power supply that will actually work (and be gentle on the tube) is only a little more involved than that one.

5. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    thanks a lot for your guidance , actually the editor of that article told me to use a series inductor with the primary , after i mentioned that i had shorted my mains . This clearly shows that the design has been untested , and god save those who were not so lucky in using a fuse .

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes I saw that comment, and although it's a step in the right direction it still says quite a bit about the design & the designer.
    Clearly he has no idea what he's doing, and wisely he does not try to specify the data of that inductor either.
    Notice also the absense (still) of a specification on the nominal mains voltage (& frequency) of the original transformer even though people have asked about it.

A 240V 50Hz transformer might have a fighting chance of surviving that abuse for a short time on a 110V 60Hz mains since it would be further away from saturation.
    It would be important though to use a transformer with as bad regulation as possible since this also is an indicaton of how far away from saturation it is.
    For example a 9V 2VA transformer might have an unloaded voltage of 18V. Thus you'd get full mains (unloaded) out of the primary if you put 18-20V into the secondary.
    But in order to get full mains voltage out with a full load on the primary however I believe you'd have to put something like 36-40V into the secondary.
    The bigger a transformer is (more VA) however, the better regulation it has, and the worse it it suited to this kind of overvolting/abuse.

Ask a Question