Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sequential Tail Light

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
View attachment 30731
It doesn't matter if I have it on 200, 2000......all the way to 20M. I have tried red from meter on red (power on light) and used black from meter to probe the pins of ic, and I have tried black from meter on red (power on light) and used red from meter to probe the pins and all have no reading, also yes my meter is working as when I touch my red and black together I get 1.2 ohms.
:D
Is this how the meter has always been?
Typically, the black probe is connected to the meter in the 'COM' port. Switch that around and try again.
Additionally, you can double check the probes by touching them together. That red probe looks like it's going to die soon.

Rustyroof

Dec 2, 2016
Yes, my apologies, this is the way it has always been, and I have one on my Christmas list, as the insulation on the probes are a bit broken.

I will re-do all the tests from the beginning.

Black in com
Red in ohms

Meter set on 2000,
Black wire on ground of light
Red wire probing each leg of ic.

1-7 nothing
8 - 001
9-16 nothing

Putting the red and black leads from meter, on the power wire, and probing the ic with the other still yields nothing (2000)

Yes touching the probes together is 001

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, my apologies, this is the way it has always been, and I have one on my Christmas list, as the insulation on the probes are a bit broken.

I will re-do all the tests from the beginning.

Black in com
Red in ohms

Meter set on 2000,
Black wire on ground of light
Red wire probing each leg of ic.

1-7 nothing
8 - 001
9-16 nothing

Putting the red and black leads from meter, on the power wire, and probing the ic with the other still yields nothing (2000)

Yes touching the probes together is 001
Now I'm a little concerned actually...
When you had previously measured from the ground wire to the pins on the IC, you ended up getting results which were expected. (Because each pin is internally tied to ground with a built-in resistor)
But you are now reading an open circuit.
At this point I'm concerned with the condition of the meter.

In any case... What I was hoping to lead up to was having you short pin 2 and pin 3 together...
You *can* still try this if you like... my only concern is if pin 3 is grounded directly, then you would short out the power supply. It does not *appear* to be this way, but the measurements you are providing don't have me convinced.
If you want to try anyway, find an use a fuse in-line with the power line just in-case.

Pin3 is an 'Always_On' pin and should over-ride any other 'mode' pin selection. This *should* do what you want.

How you want to proceed is up to you... more testing or doing?

Rustyroof

Dec 2, 2016
Yes, I gave it a try, as I do have an inline fuse hooked up, and I assume by short pin 2 &3, you mean leave everything as is and place a jumper from 2-3. If so that does nothing. Or do I need to remove pins from circuit board and hook them together. I should also mention that the light work like this..... light 1 comes on.....then light 2 is added, then light 3 is added to 1 & 2, so the last of the sequence, all lights are on. This is the point I wish to have constantly. It does not go 1 only, then 2 only, then 3 only.

I am travelling for work the next few days, and when I get back I will borrow my fathers meter and see if I get any better readings.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, I gave it a try, as I do have an inline fuse hooked up, and I assume by short pin 2 &3, you mean leave everything as is and place a jumper from 2-3. If so that does nothing. Or do I need to remove pins from circuit board and hook them together. I should also mention that the light work like this..... light 1 comes on.....then light 2 is added, then light 3 is added to 1 & 2, so the last of the sequence, all lights are on. This is the point I wish to have constantly. It does not go 1 only, then 2 only, then 3 only.

I am travelling for work the next few days, and when I get back I will borrow my fathers meter and see if I get any better readings.
Yeah. I understand the mode you have and the mode you would like...
The tricky part is making it do what you want it to with the limited information we have thus far. English documentation and expected readings would be lovely!

Anyway, here is the pin layout:
Untitled.jpg

With the meter set to resistance, you should read the following:
- Power Wire <> Pin1 "VDD" = 0Ω, or a very small resistance.
- Power Wire <> Pin2 "GO" = 0Ω, or a very small resistance.
- Power Wire <> Pin3 "ALLON" = 0L, or very large resistance.
- Power Wire <> Pin7 "MODE" = <Unknown>
- Power Wire <> Pin9 "FLASH" = 0L, or very large resistance.

- Ground Wire <> Pin8 "VSS" = 0Ω, or a very small resistance.
- Ground Wire <> Pin2 "GO" = 8KΩ, or a large resistance.
- Ground Wire <> Pin3 "ALLON" = 8KΩ, or a large resistance.
- Ground Wire <> Pin7 "MODE" = 8KΩ, or a large resistance.
- Ground Wire <> Pin9 "FLASH" = 8KΩ, or a large resistance.
You may need to swap which probe you leave on the power wire to get these readings depending on the placement of the Diode in the assembly.

Additionally, you *can* do voltage measurements while the device is powered on.
With the black lead on the Ground Wire, you can poke and prod with the red lead.
Pin1 "VDD" = 12V or close
Pin2 "GO" = 12V or close
Pin3 "ALLON" = 0V
Pin7 "MODE" = <Unknown>
Pin8 "VSS" = 0V
Pin9 "FLASH" = 0V

Pin3 "ALLON' must be set to 'high' in order for this to do what you want.
I've found another datasheet that states that as long as 'ALLON' is high, then the other pins don't matter. Hopefully this is true. Additionally, Pin2 "GO" appears to be required, but I've translated that the device will still 'flash' if all the input pins are left empty.
It's not fun from a research side of things.

Based on the measurements you gave me, I can only assume that the IC/board may have some kind of film or coating on it, or that your meter/probes are defective.
I'm also operating on the assumption that Pin3 "GO" is connected to VCC, and suggested shorting pins 2 and 3 together because it would be easy (they are side-by-side)
You may need to jump pin1, to pin3, and if you can make sure it's connected and nothing changes, then it would appear the table I found in the other datasheet is false, and you will need to disconnect pins 2, 7, and 9 from power. (If they are connected... trying to find out with measurements)

Rustyroof

Dec 2, 2016
I was able to do a few quick measurements before leaving for work today. With power on.

Black probe on ground ( with my old meter). Values fluctuate a bit
Pin 1........ 12-12.7 v
Pin 2&3 ........0v
Pin 4........5-5.8v
Pin 5..... 6.6-7.1 v
Pin 6.....4.6-5v
Pin 7.... 12.1-12.9v
Pin 8......0v
Pin 9.... 0v
Pin 10.... 2.2-6.6v
Pin11.... 1-6.6v
Pin12.... 0.2-6.6v
Pin 13..... 0.05-6.5v
Pin 14.....0.2-5.87v
Pin 15.... 0.1-6v
Pin 16.... 0.1-7v

When I return home Friday, I will get another meter and double check and repost the resistance

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I was able to do a few quick measurements before leaving for work today. With power on.

Black probe on ground ( with my old meter). Values fluctuate a bit
Pin 1........ 12-12.7 v
Pin 2&3 ........0v
Pin 4........5-5.8v
Pin 5..... 6.6-7.1 v
Pin 6.....4.6-5v
Pin 7.... 12.1-12.9v
Pin 8......0v
Pin 9.... 0v
Pin 10.... 2.2-6.6v
Pin11.... 1-6.6v
Pin12.... 0.2-6.6v
Pin 13..... 0.05-6.5v
Pin 14.....0.2-5.87v
Pin 15.... 0.1-6v
Pin 16.... 0.1-7v

When I return home Friday, I will get another meter and double check and repost the resistance
These values work, and explain why shorting pins 2 and 3 together failed.
According to the datasheet I found. Connecting the 'MODE' pin (7) to power "the output is connected."
I honestly have no idea what that means, and that's what is making this trickier than it should be... Google translate only goes so far. The same data sheet also very roughly explains that the output will flash with nothing connected, and with Flash or Go connected.
Looks as though our goal is to connect pin 1 to pin 3 though.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Managed to get a "round-a-bout" translation on the pdf data sheet done.....may be enough to get Gryd3 to see what's going on.

Attachments

• cdt7350.ja.en.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 64

Rustyroof

Dec 2, 2016
I got home last night and tried a jumper from pin 1 to pin 3. It worked, this did exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this, I really appreciate it.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I got home last night and tried a jumper from pin 1 to pin 3. It worked, this did exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this, I really appreciate it.
Glad to hear it works, and sorry it took so long :s
We could have tried that first, but I like to be cautious (sometimes overly).