Maker Pro
Maker Pro

sequencer boards

rbig

Jul 16, 2010
I'd like to find a board which will let me sequence between two fans (runs first one, then the other, once power is disrupted)

If anyone can steer me to one without it being cost prohibitive (one small wage earner looking for project board), please do do.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
That sound like a cheap radioshack project. You could pickup a perf board some logic IC's and some wire wrap supplies and crank out a state machine in an hour.

But first how big are the fans(voltage, current). I may have oversimplified your task.

rbig

Jul 16, 2010
They're small desk fans. I want one blowing one way, and the other blowing the other way.
Right, left, right, left, right, left, etc.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
yep I over simplified. I was hoping for some simple DC cooling fans but you are talking about wall plug(120V mains) fans right?

And you are wanting to just turn them off and on or are you talking about making the fan blades spin forward and reverse? Off and on should still be do-able but if you want them spinning both directions that is a bigger challenge.

Also AC relays I have used are pretty expensive ~$160. I guess if you don't mind throwing switches yourself you could use mechanical switches and flip them on and off as you wish.

Sorry perhaps someone else has some good ideas for you.

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
I've done something similar, though not with fans...

A couple of $5 relays should do it, unless I'm missing something.
Example relay: Here

Edit: Was going to suggest the 555/556... you'd probably want a longer delay between cycles, though... how long did you want each fan on? :)

Last edited: