Connect with us

Sensor Based Tracking

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Piratio, May 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Piratio

Piratio

Dec 3, 2012
    Ok, so I'm not really sure what this would be called, but the title is the best I could think of. So, you know of the little RC toys that automatically return to their little stand when they are low battery? They aren't super popular as far as I know and I cannot name any brands. But I have a project in mind for me and my friends to work on and I was wondering what sort of hardware/software I would be looking at to make something that did this. There will be much more to this project, but I am wondering how I could achieve set goal. Here is an example.
    2 Channel system with 2 "beacons" *Beacon A and Beacon B*. We are in the gym. I'm on one end, my friend is on the other end. Assuming we have a finished project, the car does not move until told and is sitting next to me. My friend has Beacon B. I push button B on the car and the car takes off and goes towards the signal. When the car reaches him, He pushes button A, and the car returns to me.
    What do I need to accomplish this? I know it isn't super expensive, because they have it on an average $75 dollar RC helicopter or RC Boat.
    Please give your thoughts guys.
    Thanks

*EDIT*
    The Roomba 580 returns to base when the battery gets to a certain low level if you are using lighthouses. Lighthouses shouldn't be needed in this case as everything will be simple and within Line Of Sight. Same with the Neato Robotic Vacuum.
    Hope the edit helps.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You have two optical (IR probably) sensors, with a wall between them. If the wall is pointing exactly at the beacon, both sensors see it, if it is a little off, only one sensor sees it, and you know which way to turn. If neither sees it, you rotate until one does see it.

Bob

3. Piratio

Piratio

Dec 3, 2012
    Thank You. That's definitely a start for my basic project. Now, for a more complicated example. Without Line Of Sight. Achievable? Preferably without a 500 dollar RC UAV system.

Ask a Question