Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sending sms with microcontroller

Jameston E

Sep 19, 2018
Hello , I'm new here and new to programming.

I want to send sms using pic16f690 , the idea is to make it send sms when a particular situation occur e.g when a liquid get to a particular level or mass weight send sms to my phone.

Pls how do I go about the part of programming it to send sms at the particular level I want

Pls help needed as soon as possible
Thanks in anticipation

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You will need a GSM module with (the usual) serial interface that accepts the data in the format it requires to be sent.

There are many such modules available - a lot of them are intended for add-on to alarm systems to allow SMS messaging to be sent when something is set off. They have 'trigger' inputs - the more inputs the more you pay etc.

Search eBay or the usual Chinese sites for such a module. The data is standard serial protocol.

Jameston E

Sep 19, 2018
You will need a GSM module with (the usual) serial interface that accepts the data in the format it requires to be sent.

There are many such modules available - a lot of them are intended for add-on to alarm systems to allow SMS messaging to be sent when something is set off. They have 'trigger' inputs - the more inputs the more you pay etc.

Search eBay or the usual Chinese sites for such a module. The data is standard serial protocol.

Thanks Kelly,

Does this module comes with triggering at a point when a condition happen , that's actually the part I'm having issue in my programming , how to set it to trigger sms when it gets to a level ...

I mean how should I go in writing the function to cause the triggering of the sms?
Just need step to follow.
Pls do help out if you can.
I really appreciate your first response

Cirkit

Oct 28, 2015
Look up the SIM900. It's a GSM module that allows you to send SMS messages using AT commands.

You will need to use the PIC to determine when the trigger condition occurs and to send the appropriate AT commands to the SIM900 module.

There are plenty of tutorials online on how to use the SIM900 and you may be able to find code examples for the PIC family you are using to send AT commands.

For an easier solution, you may want to consider an Arduino with SIM900 shield. There are plenty of code examples for what you are trying to do by others.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
@Cirkit has it exactly right - I was trying to think of that particular model so thanks for the reminder!