Connect with us

Self drive car

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by alexgrame, Aug 16, 2018.

1. alexgrame

alexgrame

Aug 16, 2018
    Hi experts!
    I want to build self drive car using raspberri pi. but i dont know where to start? please guide me. thank you so much

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Get a copy of Yellow Pages (or Google) and look up "chauffeur" ..... then show the chauffeur how to use the Raspi.

alexgrame likes this.
  3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Are you serious? Sending a rocket to the moon would be much easier. After you finish that project, come back and we can talk.

Bob

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Given that car manufacturers spend BILLIONS on such projects and you figure you can do it with a $50 Raspi I reckon the car manufacturers would like to talk to you! They're definitely missing something!

5. Robert_fay

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
  6. Doug3004

Doug3004

Sep 5, 2014
    This is a fairly big project even for a toy.... but it isn't impossible.
    For a toy.
    If you want a self-driving REAL car like a Tesla, well,,,, I dunno. I don't like to say to a total stranger that "you aren't smart enough to do that", because maybe you are. But I'd bet it's a lot less work to just buy a car that already does that.

There are two main problems with constructing a self-driving vehicle: environment detection and environment mapping.

Environment detection is how the computer "sees" what is around it. I've not seen any articles that explain how the big car companies like Tesla, Uber, Lyft and Google are handling this... One article I read about industrial/warehouse robots that were self-driving explained it as follows: the robot has a video camera that takes pictures every half-second, and then the software tracks colored regions (objects) from frame-to-frame, for several frames. Geometry is then used to predict how fast and how close the objects in view are. Some systems use a single camera, while other systems that need higher short-range positional accuracy use two cameras located laterally but some distance apart. ...This task is what takes up the bulk of computing workoads in self-driving computer systems, and it must work very fast. Both the hardware and the software must be able to run very fast.

Environment mapping is also complicated, but it is the simpler of the two problems. The term you want to explore here is SLAM:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_localization_and_mapping
    The SLAM methods used for self-driving cars (like Teslas) is more complicated, but there are very simple SLAM methods that you can implement on a toy robot car that is run by an Arduino Uno. And there are a few projects that were written to run on a Rasberri Pi, to drive a robot.

7. Doug3004

Doug3004

Sep 5, 2014
    Ehhhh... it prolly works as advertised, but its still not what I would want.

That project is using code running on Amazon Cloud Service.... so it's not really "yours", and you can't modify it if it doesn't work well for what you are doing. There are security/privacy issues.... Plus mah bandwidth... And the code is probably 99% of the work involved. If you skip that part, how much do you really know about what you are doing?

I'd bet that most people wanting to build their "own" robots, want to have 100% of the code stored locally--on a PC of their own, if not on the robot itself. You don't wanna write it all, but you at least want to be able to look at the source to see how it works.

Ask a Question