Connect with us

Selector Button

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Shaun101, Oct 24, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Shaun101

Shaun101

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi all,

I am new to this, so it may be an obvious answer.

I am building a circuit utilising microcontrollers and switches as well as 7 segment displays. What I want to be able to do is use a button/switch to select one of 3 options. Press once for option 1, press twice for option 2 etc. Also I want the different option numbers to be shown on the segment displays.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I will be using Picaxe-18M2 for the programming if that helps.

Thanks
    Shaun

2. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    Since you want to count upto 3 (for the 3 options), you need to have a 2 bit binary counter whose output ( 00, 01, 10, 11) can be decoded to the chosen option. A CMOS chip 4511 should help you thru'.

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4511.htm

Just ground the Inputs C and D.

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This can be done completely in software, no need to add an external counter.

You need to do the following:

1. Learn how to de-bounce a switch in software.
    2. Make your program check for a new push of the switch periodically, with the period being 1/10th of a second or so.
    3. Keep a variable that tells what mode you are in and cycle it to the next mode with each button press you detect.

Bob

Ask a Question