Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Secret Mission Motion Sensor

Adam_Smith

Jun 19, 2018
Hello guys
smiley.gif

I need help in finding the best approach towards a stealth project. I am operating a mission in my home where I need to ensure that I cannot get flanked / approached by someone from behind and not notice. Basically I will need to construct a couple of motion detectors that:

1) Are reliable and won't trigger randomly.
2) Are very small and easy to deploy.
3) Aren't expensive, so if they get destroyed or lost it wouldn't be the end of the world.
4) Work in the dark.
5) Are able to send a message / notification to a device REMOTELY. I can't use anything that makes a noise like buzzers etc.

I've thought of trying to interface an RF system where as soon as the motion sensor detects motion, it uses a connected RF transmitter and sends a signal. But how would I interpret the RF message, and on what device?

A second idea that came to me which I think is more realistic is to set up a raspberry pi server, hosting a simple webpage on my home network. I could then use an esp8266 Wi-Fi board together with a small arduino and motion sensor to send a packet of data to the webserver whenever the motion detector is triggered. I would be connected to my home network from my mobile and be viewing the page, so I will get informed whenever there is motion detected.

What are your thoughts about the potential solutions I have described? Are there any alternative methods that I should consider?

Thank you,

Adam.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The simplest form would be to use pressure mats! Next would be the IR sensing modules that are common with burglar alarms (adjustable sensitivity - stops pets activating it).

Either way, all you get is a simple 'closing contact' that can activate whatever it is you want to do - start a webcam recording? set off an alarm? transmit an alert (depending on distance you can use wireless doorbells, bluetooth, wi-fi, LoRa (or similar) and/or activate an internet device to sen email etc etc.

Personally I'd get relaxation lessons and/or wing mirrors......

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I would just expel the Ninja’s from my home.

Bob

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Adam, sorry I didn't respond to this thread before now. Are you still looking for advice, or have you already decided on how to build your project?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What about deliberately creaky floors?

Or PIR sensors mounted on the back of your head?

Or mirrors on all the walls?