Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Second-Order Circuits

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Seems a workable problem.
How far have you got?
I guess they expect you to use techniques you have recently been taught.
Are you working in calculus integrals and derivatives versus time, or in s-domain?

JordanSihombing

Apr 21, 2021
Seems a workable problem.
How far have you got?
I guess they expect you to use techniques you have recently been taught.
Are you working in calculus integrals and derivatives versus time, or in s-domain?
I've tried to solve it myself, but i think i need another reference so i can understand it completely
And i'm working in calculus integrals and derivatives versus time

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
So you have the voltage versus current (or vice versa) expressions for each of the components?
These interact according to Kirchov's laws? Allowing you to combine them.
I guess there is a form of the solution that you can assume is a solution to the resulting differential equation(s) and you can solve for the constants.
Where does that get you?
Maybe you can post an image of your working?
A long time since I did this sort of thing, so forgive me if I go a little wrong, or jump in, someone who's done it recently.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What is "5u(t)V"?
Is that, as I found on another forum, V = 0 V for t< 0 and V = 5 V for t > 0 (Heaviside function)? That would be impossible as at t < 0 the capacitor is charged to 0 V and cannot be charged to 5 V instantaneously. The solution to this would require an infinite current through the voltage source.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, the capacitor would energize up to 5 volts immediately due to the infinite current supplied by the step voltage source. The inductor will present an infinite impedance for an infinitesimal amount of time. The inductor will also have 5 volts across it immediately for and infinitesimal amount of time, and will reduce to zero according according to the the series L/R time constant of the circuit.

Last edited: