Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seagate 40gb Hard disk motherboard problem

Young

Feb 6, 2013
My hard disk(seagate 40gb ide) got burned due to a wrong connection by my brother,when i opened it i say a capacitor,a chip it starts with a num 22...,and two 1R00 resistors were burnt,stupidly i removed d capacitor and d chip without looking at d printed codes on them,but maybe i did it bcos i couldnt see d codes very well,bcos they were burnt black,pls does anyone has a similar harddisk so he can tell me d codes,or post a pic of it,or if anybody can help me with the schematics,or can anyone tell me what to do pls

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
show us photos and what model of Segate drive

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As Dave said (and as my original post that vanished also said) we need to know the exact model and preferably serial number.

The boards can change revisions during the life of the product, so the serial# helps in making sure you have one that is more likely the same.

I'd suggest that you get onto ebay and try to find a similar (as close to identical) drive as you can and transplant the boards.

What was the "wrong connection", because it must have been interesting to cause the problems you describe. I would suggest there is more wrong than you have identified and that is the basis for my recommendation above.

Young

Feb 6, 2013
As Dave said (and as my original post that vanished also said) we need to know the exact model and preferably serial number.

The boards can change revisions during the life of the product, so the serial# helps in making sure you have one that is more likely the same.

I'd suggest that you get onto ebay and try to find a similar (as close to identical) drive as you can and transplant the boards.

What was the "wrong connection", because it must have been interesting to cause the problems you describe. I would suggest there is more wrong than you have identified and that is the basis for my recommendation above.

i used in ide to usb cable to connect d harddisk to my computer,u know there is a place for +5v and another for +12v,the wire was made in such a way that if u connect it wrongly it will fit in but u wil start to here the smell of something is burning,but dont worry i will post d picture tomorrow or b4 tomorrow,i wanted to post it but i use a nokia 2690 d camera quality is very poor u may not see d removed areas,but am going to use someones andriod to paste it...thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ah! I plugged an external IDE drive into an IDE socket that had accidentally been plugged into a firewire port internally (at the factory!)

Killed the drive stone dead (and it smelt like it). Didn't try a board replacement though.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
If you do a board swap, I believe you'll also need to move the original Flash ROM to the new board, since the fimrware stores information in there that relates to the physical characteristics of the drive hardware.

Edit: Or the data might be stored in a SerialFlash or EEPROM